Question Is my Mobo dead or my PSU ?

Apr 29, 2020
So for over a month i have an issue where i can't shutdown my PC. If i do it trough Windows (Start > Shutdown) the OS "turns off" and at some point i have a black screen but my : peripherals, cpu fan , case fan , mobo led etc. is still on. It never cuts the power off . Even if i let it like that for hours , it stays that way. Other than that , i don't have any problems tbh.

So far what i tried :
  • Replace CMOS Battery
  • Clear CMOS
  • Tried with no HDD/SSD connected
  • No GPU
  • No Peripherals
  • No Case I/O (Shorten the pins in order to turn it off)

I suspect that it's the Mobo but i want to double check here before i go on and replace it.

MB: Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON
PSU: Seaonic Focus + 750W 80+ Platinum

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
Does the force shutdown using case io work? (Hlding down power )

It feels like the signal from the cpu isnt getting to the psu to turn it off

You could try replugging the cables (though i dont think it affects)

Would a software issue possibly be the case? Have you tried restart? Does it complete the shutdown and boot?

Apr 29, 2020

Would a software issue possibly be the case? Have you tried restart? Does it complete the shutdown and boot?

Force Shutdown does work

I will try it tho

Software can't be the issue , i tried it without any Storage connected to it. Reset the bios , updated firmware.

Restart doesn't work, tho it did sometimes made the CPU fan stop. But still no complete cut from the power.

Apr 29, 2020

After fighting with my CPU cooler ( NH-D14 in Fractal Meshify C ) I unplugged the 8 pin and plugged it back in. No luck tho. I did notice that some of the LED blink (outside of the normal pattern) when the pc is "Turned off". I do remember that i installed / was doing something with Intel Chipset driver. Could it be that either that or some onboard memory is corrupted ?

Also windows sometimes act like it came out of sleep mode ( opening browser with some pages , Explorer etc.)

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
After fighting with my CPU cooler ( NH-D14 in Fractal Meshify C ) I unplugged the 8 pin and plugged it back in. No luck tho. I did notice that some of the LED blink (outside of the normal pattern) when the pc is "Turned off". I do remember that i installed / was doing something with Intel Chipset driver. Could it be that either that or some onboard memory is corrupted ?

Also windows sometimes act like it came out of sleep mode ( opening browser with some pages , Explorer etc.)

Hmm, that definitely sounds like a possibility, a chipset issue might affect it. The fact that the hardware forced shutdown works means its fine. I forgot to ask, what other updates/ things were you doing before this issue?

Apr 29, 2020
Hmm, that definitely sounds like a possibility, a chipset issue might affect it. The fact that the hardware forced shutdown works means its fine. I forgot to ask, what other updates/ things were you doing before this issue?
It was mainly Chipset and MOBO related stuff ( Just some software from MSI's website), Just tested some bloatware for it.

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
It was mainly Chipset and MOBO related stuff ( Just some software from MSI's website), Just tested some bloatware for it.

Maybe you can ask around to see if someone can lend a motherboard. Im out of my element now, never seen this issue before anywhere.

The last idea i have is to download and boot a linux distro/ a fresh install of windows to see if the problem continues.

Good luck
Alvis

Apr 29, 2020
Maybe you can ask around to see if someone can lend a motherboard. Im out of my element now, never seen this issue before anywhere.

The last idea i have is to download and boot a linux distro/ a fresh install of windows to see if the problem continues.

Good luck
Alvis
but it sure does sound like a mobo issue and not PSU ?
I will probably just replace it. And the only one i have around has a am4 mobo. So no luck there.

Still thank you a lot for your help !