is my mobo dead?

falxori

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
Hello.
just built my first system about a week ago, everything looked fine until yesterday...
after a restart, power is on for a few seconds (fans, leds, DVD led, etc) and then it goes off. after a few seconds
it goes on again and then off again.
nothing really starts, i dont see anything on the screen and can't get the the bios (and there are no beeps whatsoever).

i've started disconnecting things and here what happens:
no memory ---> same behaviour (no beeps)
no HD, DVD, graphics card ---> same
no power to graphics card ---> long beep (looks like it comes from the graphic card itself
the only difference is when i unplug the ATX_12V plug, then the system doesnt power down and up again, it just stays on, the tuniq cooler kicks it, but nothing boots (obviously).
i've checked the PSU and it gives 12V as it should , so my main suspect is the motherboard.
is there anything else i could do before taking everything apart and buying a new mobo?

the spec is:
ga-p35c-ds3r
Q6600 with tuniq tower
2X 1GB ram by patriot (don't remember the exact model, but i can check if it matters)
Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
WD 3200AAKS SATA2 HD

any help would be appreciated...
thanks
Ori

royalcrown

Distinguished
Take the board out of the case and try it on a table to see if something is shorting out in the case, and check your cpu cooler while it is out, make sure it is still on properly. Also try resetting the cmos if it has a jumper.

falxori

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
Hi
tried it, no luck.
btw, the CPU cooler only kicks in if the 12V plug is disconnected.
any other things i should test before declaring the mobo dead?
Ori