Is my mobo fried?

airtable2222

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017
Hello,

I forgot the mobo was on (stupid i know) and tried to unplug the HD SATA cable on the mobo and i heard a small pop. Now when i try to turn it on, the CPU and PSU fan spin once or twice and power down. TKO?

Solution
Certainly a possibility with that genius act :) But for now, try disconnecting and replugging every component connected to the power supply.

Here are some specific instructions from another site:
1) Disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer & open up the case.

2) Wear an anti-static bacnd or at very least discharge your static by touching a metal surface

3) Disconnect the main 20pin ATX power connector from the motherboard & the square 4pin ATX2 power connector

4) Remove any PCI cards you have & disconnect ALL drive cabling from the MOTHERBOARD. Also disconnect any internal USB fly leads from the motherboard.

5) You should now have ONLY the cpu+heatsink/fan, memory & video card installed. Locate the round silver...

SirSub42

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Certainly a possibility with that genius act :) But for now, try disconnecting and replugging every component connected to the power supply.

Here are some specific instructions from another site:
1) Disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer & open up the case.

2) Wear an anti-static bacnd or at very least discharge your static by touching a metal surface

3) Disconnect the main 20pin ATX power connector from the motherboard & the square 4pin ATX2 power connector

4) Remove any PCI cards you have & disconnect ALL drive cabling from the MOTHERBOARD. Also disconnect any internal USB fly leads from the motherboard.

5) You should now have ONLY the cpu+heatsink/fan, memory & video card installed. Locate the round silver battery in the bottom right corner of the board. Just below it, you'll see a plastic jumper cap. This cap should be covering 2 pins (pins 1 + 2) with pin 3 bare. It will be marked JP1. Move the jumper to cover pins 2-3 instead. Leave in this position for about 30 seconds, then return the jumper to its original position (pins 1-2).

6) Reconnect the square 4pin ATX2 power connector & the main 20 pin ATX power connector. Make sure that the case speaker or buzzer is connected also.

7) Make sure the only external devices connected are the keyboard/mouse & monitor. Reconnect the power lead & power on the system

Let me know what happens. i.e do you hear any beeps? Does the power stay on this time? Do the keyboard lights flash up once?

Solution