[SOLVED] Is my mobo good enough for Arctis headset?

May 16, 2020
Hi everyone,

as the title suggests I am looking to buy a new headset because my last one broke.
I was looking for a robust, wired headset for under €200 when I came across the Arctis Steelseries.

Now, I watched a review which compares the different models and learned a few things. However, it was mentioned in the review that if my mobo doesnt have a frequency range that supports the headset, there would be no point in buying that headset (Steelseries Arctis Pro Gaming). An alternative, cheaper headset I'm considering is the SteelSeries Arctis 7, although I'd need to upgrade my system to support wireless/bluetooth.

Here is my build: my PC and my mobo in particular.
From what I've gathered;
-it should be able to fully support the pro gaming headset (?) because the specs say 7.1 high defenition audio
-i do not have an AMP so buying the version with the DAC would be better (?), but go over my price range
Anyways I hope you guys can give me some more insight in how all of this works (of it works) and maybe other suggestions.
Thanks!

Solution
Any motherboard and headphone frequency range will be greater than what your ears can hear. The human hearing range, at best even for picking up faint noises, is abut 20-20,000, with most people being well short of that range.

Going past that, the Arctis Pro has a USB DAC it uses, so anything they say about motherboard audio won't apply when using that, once you hook up a headset with USB, you are not using the motherboard audio but the processing through whatever electronics the headset provides.

The 7 is wireless, the 5 would be better for you.
Any motherboard and headphone frequency range will be greater than what your ears can hear. The human hearing range, at best even for picking up faint noises, is abut 20-20,000, with most people being well short of that range.

Going past that, the Arctis Pro has a USB DAC it uses, so anything they say about motherboard audio won't apply when using that, once you hook up a headset with USB, you are not using the motherboard audio but the processing through whatever electronics the headset provides.

The 7 is wireless, the 5 would be better for you.

Solution