[SOLVED] Is my Mobo grounded when plugged into my PSU?

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
I recently had my headset on gaming, and my sister came into my room and touched me and I felt a shock, can static go through my headset into my mobo and cause ESD?

Solution
i had a similar experience where i took a blanket off while i had headphones on, a huge static shock happened and it wrecked my audio ports on my IO and my headphones, If it was a small shock it may subside over time but if it was major then you may have damaged hardware. If you cannot hear a buzzing or static sound, and if other people you talk to over skype or discord cannot hear static when you talk then you should be alright.

Exposure_

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
i had a similar experience where i took a blanket off while i had headphones on, a huge static shock happened and it wrecked my audio ports on my IO and my headphones, If it was a small shock it may subside over time but if it was major then you may have damaged hardware. If you cannot hear a buzzing or static sound, and if other people you talk to over skype or discord cannot hear static when you talk then you should be alright.

Solution

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
Is that possible?did this happen to you with a laptop?Im pretty sure my pc is grounded but I wanted to know if the mobo is grounded too.

Exposure_

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
this happened to me on a pc. the static shock however was ridiculously huge. your motherboard is grounded by the power supply. but it is still possible to experience esd that damages your components in cases like the one I talked about. small shocks are nothing to worry about.

TRENDING THREADS