[SOLVED] Is my modem router bottlenecking my internet bandwith and latency?

Rojak

Commendable
May 8, 2019
I'm using ISP with 50 Mbps bandwith. They are using fiber optic. Speedtest by ookla result show that I do get that speed (45-50 Mbps). I could stream without problem, but when I use it on gaming, it lags a lot. Ping reach a stable 250 ms. There is delay from command input to action.

The ISP provide me with an modem/router ZTE F609 with ITU-T G.984.x GPON standard. I believe this is for the fiber optic port. I don't really have knowledge about modem.

At least from the router spec, I know that this router is not really capable. It only supports 2.4GHz band(802.11b/g/n). And Doesn't support QoS(I believe it helps on prioritizing, hence better latency)

At first, I'm planning on upgrading the router into something more suitable for gaming. After browsing for modem for a while. I understand that ZTE f609 are router/modem.

Does this mean I also have to purchase a better modem with GPON capability? Or does this modem router is sufficient. Will adding a better router after this modem fixing the latency issues? Or should I buy a better modem too? If I should, what spec do I need for this?

I can't find the official site for complete spec, but I'll try to provide you any information that you need.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to your suggestion.

Solution
As stated, using WiFi is a bad choice.
Also, though, if looking to upgrade your router situation to support better WiFi, you can get an AC router from Tenda for cheap on Amazon.
I have one and it's perfect.
You just have to disable the WiFi on your modem/router combo, and connect the new router to it using one of the ethernet ports on the combo unit and set it up accordingly.

Here is a guide for doing that
https://www.wikihow.com/Connect-One-Router-to-Another-to-Expand-a-Network

And here is a decent budget router from Tenda

But as mentioned yet again, WiFi is a bad choice.
I would instead suggest an Ethernet cable.
Purchase an ethernet cable of...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Also, though, if looking to upgrade your router situation to support better WiFi, you can get an AC router from Tenda for cheap on Amazon.
You just have to disable the WiFi on your modem/router combo, and connect the new router to it using one of the ethernet ports on the combo unit and set it up accordingly.

Purchase an ethernet cable of suitable length for the distance that you will be running the cable to your PC.

I suggest something from either Rosewill or Monoprice. (I have three 50ft ethernet cables from Monoprice and they work perfectly)

Furthermore, if you did run an ethernet cable like I said, you can then get an ethernet switch (hub) and plug the cable into that, and be able to plug your PC and other devices such as game consoles into it getting ethernet connection for all of those devices as well in your room.

if you decide to go this route, here's a good switch.
5 port for $17
https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tl-sg1005d-5-x-rj45/p/N82E16833704042

and 8 port for $20
https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tl-sg1008d-8-x-rj45/p/N82E16833704043

Amazon link for either at same price at the moment

Solution
You are just assuming it is your router it could be that there is some other issue with the actual internet connection.
You need to use actual ping commands and try to find the delay. Although wifi is a major suspect in games if you actually have a "stable" 250ms that is much more likely network delay. Wifi generally causes random delays which is actually worse for games.

In any case the first step is to leave a constant ping run in a background window to your router IP and see if you see corresponding problems when the game is having issues.

It would actually be much better if you can test this on ethernet.

GPON devices tend to be very hard to actually replace. Most use proprietary setting that your ISP will not tell you. Most the ISP outright does not allow it.

Rojak

Commendable
May 8, 2019
More than likely there's nothing that you can change that will fix the latency besides don't use wifi. 250ms is going to be an issue and using a wired connection will reduce the ping tremendously as well as provide much more consistency.

Thank you for your insight. I guess I don't elaborate enough. I use ethernet cable for my PC. and the "stable 250 ms ping" come from the ethernet connection. so my latency problem occured on my ethernet connection.

for Wifi, I use it mainly on my phone, but by using speedtest, I found out that the speed only reach 10 mbps. and even when I use it, the internet often has slow response.

Rojak

Commendable
May 8, 2019

Purchase an ethernet cable of suitable length for the distance that you will be running the cable to your PC.

I suggest something from either Rosewill or Monoprice. (I have three 50ft ethernet cables from Monoprice and they work perfectly)

Furthermore, if you did run an ethernet cable like I said, you can then get an ethernet switch (hub) and plug the cable into that, and be able to plug your PC and other devices such as game consoles into it getting ethernet connection for all of those devices as well in your room.

if you decide to go this route, here's a good switch.
5 port for $17
https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tl-sg1005d-5-x-rj45/p/N82E16833704042

and 8 port for $20
https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tl-sg1008d-8-x-rj45/p/N82E16833704043

Amazon link for either at same price at the moment

Thank you for your insight. I guess I don't elaborate enough. I use ethernet cable for my PC. and the "stable 250 ms ping" come from the ethernet connection. so my latency problem occured on my ethernet connection.

for Wifi, I use it mainly on my phone, but by using speedtest, I found out that the speed only reach 10 mbps. and even when I use it, the internet often has slow response.

A new router might be the right answer for my Wifi problem. Thank you for your suggestion on router. I'll check it out.
How about my latency problem?

Rojak

Commendable
May 8, 2019
You are just assuming it is your router it could be that there is some other issue with the actual internet connection.
You need to use actual ping commands and try to find the delay. Although wifi is a major suspect in games if you actually have a "stable" 250ms that is much more likely network delay. Wifi generally causes random delays which is actually worse for games.

In any case the first step is to leave a constant ping run in a background window to your router IP and see if you see corresponding problems when the game is having issues.

It would actually be much better if you can test this on ethernet.

GPON devices tend to be very hard to actually replace. Most use proprietary setting that your ISP will not tell you. Most the ISP outright does not allow it.

I just check my ping from PC to router. it is a stable 1 ms. so I don't think the problem come from my PC or ethernet cable.

about GPON modem that was hard to replace, will it help on my problem if I just use the router/modem fully as modem and buy a better router. will it help managing my bandwith better? and will this help my latency problem?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
If you are connected via ethernet to your router, and when you do a speedtest, it comes back with 10mbps, does that speedtest also come back with that high ping? What ping do you get with that speed test?

Also, what speed test are you using to test and on what browser?

Also, also, what internet speeds are you paying for?

If you good latency inside your house then it is not the equipment in the house. It is highly unlikely the router itself will cause delays.

What do you see if you ping a common ip like 8.8.8.8

What happens if you run tracert 8.8.8.8 What is the latency to hop 2.

Your problem could be you are using a game server that is far away and has high ping time.