Is my monitor broken or does it just have bad color?

Darknesh

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I have a Asus VS247 Monitor, and when theres dark black colors like in movies or games theres hardly any shades to it. For example when I play Skyrim and when I'm on a loading screen the smoke near the edged where it starts fading away turning black theres like 4 solid shades of gray and they just change, not slowly turn black. I also have a LG TV next to me where this isnt the issue, the blacks are... black and smooth. But my monitor has better color then the TV. Or is it possible that it might be my GTX 460 that's the problem? Thanks in advance.

Example: (It looks alot smoother in the picture though..)
r79ero.jpg

colorbands.png

Solution
When I switched to sRGB, I know what You mean. It's the...whatever. You'd need the 10-Bit Simultaneous Display, or similiar technology, like my Eizo has [~1700 euro], so it can draw gradients without layers [onion like effect]. It's completely normal with all LCD panels, besides the professional ones. Though, it's interesting You noticed it :)

Darknesh

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
My current monitor settings are:

Brightness - 100
Contrast - 85
Saturation - 60
Sharpness - 60
ASCR - Off (Whatever that is)

And my Nvidia settings are all default. And I don't know what TN is, don't know much about displays.
I just bought this one used for less then $100 until I could afford a nice 27" 144hz one.

When I switched to sRGB, I know what You mean. It's the...whatever. You'd need the 10-Bit Simultaneous Display, or similiar technology, like my Eizo has [~1700 euro], so it can draw gradients without layers [onion like effect]. It's completely normal with all LCD panels, besides the professional ones. Though, it's interesting You noticed it :)

Solution