[SOLVED] Is my monitor causing my PC to crash and restart?

GVisser773

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017
This is going to sound silly but since i've bought a new monitor, (Samsung G7, got it on sale with half being paid by my younger brother as he accidentally broke my monitor at the time, also wouldn't pay full price for it but anyways) i've been having constant crashes where my PC will either just fade to black as if it's refreshing and then just restart, no BSOD, or it will massively drop in frame rate on with whatever I'm doing and then restart, OR it'll just completely freeze and nothing happens, no mouse movement nothing. In which case I have to force a restart to get it working again.

This can happen at literally any time, whether I'm gaming, (mainly play WoW so not even an intensive game), scrolling on webpages, watching films, doing design work, ANY time.

It's a relatively new PC too with me only having bought it in August 2019, so just over a year old!

This never happened before with my old monitor but that's the only recent change I've made that I feel could be having an impact?

Display settings are set to 2560x1440 @ 144hz (was at 240hz but have since moved it down to see if any changes, no change) and using display port.

Sometimes on just screen freezes I can still hear audio playing in the background which makes me think more it's display / GPU related. GPU drivers are all up to date.

Can happen up to 6-7 times a day and it's unpredictable making it hard to work, also worried it'll damage other components!

PC Specs are:

Ryzen 7 3700X
MSI B450M PRO-VDH Motherboard
MSI GeForce RTX 2060
16GB RAM (2x8GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz)
Cooler Master MWE V2 650W 80+ Gaming Power Supply
Cosair Hydro H100I cooling
Various SSD's and HDD
Windows 10

Sorry for the long post, wanted to give as much detail as possible.

Appreciate any help or info on this, thanks!

Solution
That MWE unit doesn't inspire much confidence. You might want to see if you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard, then see if your OS is pending any updates. We're currently on 20H2 for Windows 10. You can try and use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers.

Manually install your GPU drivers after downloading them from Nvidia's support site, install them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Lutfij

Titan
That MWE unit doesn't inspire much confidence. You might want to see if you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard, then see if your OS is pending any updates. We're currently on 20H2 for Windows 10. You can try and use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers.

Manually install your GPU drivers after downloading them from Nvidia's support site, install them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Solution

GVisser773

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017

Hi, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have been trying to work on this today finally. I got as far as updating OS to 20H2, downloaded video card drivers incase I needed to reinstall. Checked BIOS version, it's running 9.4, downloaded the most recent and extracted it to a memory stick with the intention of updating, (a guide on Nvidia website said this was the way to do so?). However on restarting my PC no longer posts... I can hear fan spinning on start and lights show but it doesn't display anything... It doesn't display on another monitor and other devices work on all the monitors I have tested.

Any idea? :(

Thanks

EDIT I reset the CMOS and that allowed it to POST again. Was able to use DDU and reinstall drivers. Have not yet updated BIOS, bit unsure of how to do so. Will report back if it crashes again.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS