Is my monitor dead?

GTRSILENTX

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
Hi, Today I was playing some games on my PC and suddenly a power cut took place. After the power came back on I tried to turn on my PC but my monitor wouldn't turn on. I tried re-plugging the power cable, but I only got the orange light for a second and then nothing. Even after pressing the power button multiple times, nothing happens. I tried using different power cables which all gave me the same result. The monitor I have is a BenQ RL2240H and it's 5 years old. Is my monitor dead? Any help would be great!

Solution

Rainzord

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2014
The best way to determine if its the monitor or not is trying to plug it to a different computer, if you have one. If the monitor works, then it might be something with your PC.

Alternatively, if you have another monitor nearby you can try to plug it in and see if its your monitor or something in your PC (graphics card, motherboard etc)

Usually if it's the graphic's card a message will pop up on the monitor saying there is no connection / no signal message (from what you are saying it doesn't even turn on though.

Rainzord

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2014

Well, I had the same issue with my monitor at work. Only the yellow light will turn on for a few seconds, and then turn off and nothing else would respond. I also tried to replace cables and plug it in another PC (which didn't work).

After being checked by our tech, the final conclusion was that the screen had past away in ripe age (6 years) so it's highly like your monitor has passed away.

GTRSILENTX

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012

Well I think it's dead too. I tried a lot of cables and still no luck. I guess I'll have to buy a new one. Any suggestions for a new monitor? I was thinking about buying Samsung CF390 24 inch. My budget is around 220$ and I play a lot of FPS like CS:GO, PUBG and BF1.

Rainzord

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2014

I think I know what you should be looking for -

You're going to want to get a monitor with higher refresh rate (144hz at least), and with this budget I guess you can find a monitor with TN panel. IPS tend to be more expensive but provide better colours and viewing angles. TN however, has a faster response rate (usually you'd look for 1ms).

The refresh rate is usually important for FPS games, so I wouldn't buy another 60hz monitor.
However if you are used for an IPS panel (or VA), going to TN might be hard for you...

Solution

GTRSILENTX

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012

Well, all the 120Hz+ monitors were out of my budget. However I was able to find a decent monitor with 1ms response time which suits my budget at this time. It's the ASUS VP228HE. I am planning to buy a 144Hz monitor in the future but this will have to do until that time. Thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS