[SOLVED] Is my monitor fried ?

johnnsti08

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
My uncle asked if I can give him my pc parts from an old build that I don’t use anymore and was lying around (i7 7700k, 16gb ram, Cyorig h7), was using his old case, old hdd’s and old psu. I built up the pc, plugged in my monitor (Gigabyte M32Q) via hdmi, and powered on the pc to test it. The pc came on but boot looped. I then hard shut down the pc to reseat the ram, and was removing the power supply cord from the psu when the entire middle plastic housing part where plug is in the psu pulled out ( it was cracked before).

I tried continuing pulling out the plug and then the psu sparked, then I smelled smoke. Long story short, my monitor doesn’t want to power on anymore ( no light at all even though it’s plugged in). I usually charge my phone on the monitors usb c port, nothing. Tried different sockets in the house as well. Do you believe the psu fried my monitor? Thanks for any assistance

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Highly unlikely the PSU problem damaged your monitor. MUCH more likely items to check:
  1. Did that problem actually blow the breaker (or fuse) feeding the wall outlet you are using? Is there power there?
  2. PSU may be damaged so it does NOT feed power properly to the computer. Is MAY appear to provide some power, but not enough on parts of its output sections. This could mean the mobo does not work, of the video output system is not powered adequately.
  3. Try plugging the monitor ONLY into a different outlet in another room. Does it show some signs of life but indicate no input signal?

johnnsti08

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
Hi,

1) No fuses were blown, I can use other devices including my gaming pc on the same power strip that the monitor is plugged into fine

2) I have my own other personal gaming pc, and the monitor doesn’t work with it either, it worked fine with it 10 minutes before this happened. But despite the actual video source showing, if I’m not mistaken, it should atleast show signs up receiving power (White light, maybe a no signal message) but there’s nothing at all, just plugging it in anywhere without it being hooked into a pc

3)Tried this as well, nothing unfortunately

Appreciate your help.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
So the monitor truly does nothing. Something you could try. Many devices like this actually have a small fuse inside them to protect, but they do not tell you that and you can NOT reach it from outside. You have to open it up (power off, of course) and search for it. It would likely look like a small tube about 1" long or so with metal end caps - very much like the old fuses they used to use on cars - and it may be soldered into a circuit. If you are handy with electronics you can try to find and test that. OR you could ask a repair shop to find the monitor's problem and that will cost! Last resort, abandon it and replace it.