Question Is my motherboard and mac address changed?

Mar 25, 2021
Hey there,

I have sent my laptop to the service a few days ago. They said that the motherboard has to be replaced so I applied it. I am using engineering programs and they are licensed with my mac address. Should I renew the licenses? Or if the mac address changes only with the ethernet card? And the other thing is how can I understand that the motherboard was replaced? Thank you :)

borris618

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
If the motherboard was replaced it will have a new MAC address than your old one.
If you have ethernet via any adapter (usb dongle, or pci card) and you continue to use that, then your MAC address willl stay the same.

Mar 25, 2021
If the motherboard was replaced it will have a new MAC address than your old one.
If you have ethernet via any adapter (usb dongle, or pci card) and you continue to use that, then your MAC address willl stay the same.
In motherboard there is a ethernet card and I am connecting to internet via ethernet card. I think they didn't change the ethernet card. Therefore the mac address is not going to be changed.

Mar 25, 2021
Is this "ethernet card" on the motherboard?
If so, that will be a different MAC address.

If not the LAN port on the motherboard, what specific "card" is this?
Yes it is on the motherboard. But when I search for the motherboard it shows that the ethernet is not included with it. Like RAMs, motherboard is getting replaced but they still use the old RAMs from old motherboard. It is an Ideapad Gaming 3 15IMH05

USAFRet

Titan
Yes it is on the motherboard. But when I search for the motherboard it shows that the ethernet is not included with it. Like RAMs, motherboard is getting replaced but they still use the old RAMs from old motherboard. It is an Ideapad Gaming 3 15IMH05
It is quite rare these days to have a motherboard without a built in ethernet port.

This laptop?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...-gb-ssd-phantom-black/6438743.p?skuId=6438743

If so:
"Internet Connectivity Ethernet"

"Ethernet Card 10/100/1000"

That is built in to the motherboard.
New motherboard, the MAC address WILL be different.

Reactions: IamMedician