Is my motherboard and PSU adequate for overclocking?

Dec 6, 2018
I am looking to overclock my cpu to hopefully 4.6+ GHz, however I have seen some dubious reviews of my power supply and I am not looking to fry my computer.
I am also not too sure if my motherboard has sufficient VRM phases or cooling heatsinky stuff to support this.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-4790K 4 GHz
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z97P-D3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Power Supply: Aerocool Strike-X Power 600W 80+ bronze
Power Supply Info

I will appreciate any helpful respones <3 .

Solution
I think you would be fine to at least try in steps to reach your 4.6ghz OC. Your motherboard is a very decent one. It even has a dual bios option in case your bios settings get messed up. I personally only buy Gold rated PSU's from Antec and EVGA myself. But there's no hurt in you trying to OC on that system. You just want to take STEPS like I said, not go full out raise the GHZ and voltage to the max you see some where. Tom's Hardware actually did a good indepth analysis of how well that chip can OC here. You can read through it for help in getting started. Note your bios settings will obviously look different than this board but the names of things are all similar. Start out with something small like 3.6ghz OC, don't change...

codygriffy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013
I think you would be fine to at least try in steps to reach your 4.6ghz OC. Your motherboard is a very decent one. It even has a dual bios option in case your bios settings get messed up. I personally only buy Gold rated PSU's from Antec and EVGA myself. But there's no hurt in you trying to OC on that system. You just want to take STEPS like I said, not go full out raise the GHZ and voltage to the max you see some where. Tom's Hardware actually did a good indepth analysis of how well that chip can OC here. You can read through it for help in getting started. Note your bios settings will obviously look different than this board but the names of things are all similar. Start out with something small like 3.6ghz OC, don't change the voltage yet. Check to see if you boot into windows and monitor temps for like half an hour or so gaming. Continue pretty much until you have problems like freezing or stuttering. Good signs you need to raise the voltage to maintain the OC.

Here is the article on the 2600k: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-overclocking-efficiency,2850-4.html

Here is the site for your mobo: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97P-D3-rev-10#ov

Solution
Dec 6, 2018
Thank you for your reply, I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner. I have a quick question.

The base clock of my CPU is 4.0GHz should I still begin at 3.6GHz?