Mar 22, 2020
So, I was running 16gbs (2x8) ddr3 ram, it was hyper x red. It was working fine for years. But I tried putting more ram into my PC that was different then the hyper x red speed. And now none of it works , I've tried getting new ram , all of it being 1600mhz, and none of it works. But the only ram that now works is 4gbs of ram @667MHz. So its super slow. I'm wondering if I could have damaged my motherboard putting different ram in and maybe it can't run faster ram anymore ? I get the 3 beeps error every time I try to start my PC with ram that's 1600mhz now. Just wondering if I need a new motherboard or if it's a simple fix.
Specs:
MSI Z77A-G45 motherboard (LGA1155)
I5-3570k GPU
GTX 660TI GPU
650 watt PSU
1TB HDD
RAM THAT WORKS:
Samsung 2x4 667mhz
RAM THAT I'VE TRIED AND DOESN'T
Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz
Hyper x red 2x8 1600mhz (used to work)
Hyper x fury 2x4 1600mhz
ADATA 2x8 1600mhx
(All ram is ddr3 LGA1155 slot)

Solution
I've tried booting with lots of ram I know that works that's obviously the right slot and ddr3. Except that the ram I used was all 1600mhz and the only kind that works now is 667mhz, all the rest gives the same 3 beeps, that's why I'm thinking it's my motherboard, it is pretty old after all
Then your motherboard is probably messed up and dying. At this point you computer is at least 7 years old, so an upgrade isn't out of the question.
From what I see there is a memory error. https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/bios-beeps-and-codes Put the original RAM into DIMM slots 2 & 4 (make sure the are seated all the way in). While it is unplugged, remove the BIOS battery and press the power button (you should hear a high pitched noise that is the capacitors draining). Press the power button again and replace the battery. Plug the computer back in and try it again. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

Reactions: LeviathanEZ
Mar 22, 2020
From what I see there is a memory error. https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/bios-beeps-and-codes Put the original RAM into DIMM slots 2 & 4 (make sure the are seated all the way in). While it is unplugged, remove the BIOS battery and press the power button (you should hear a high pitched noise that is the capacitors draining). Press the power button again and replace the battery. Plug the computer back in and try it again. Hopefully this will fix the issue.
Replace the battery as in a new one? And thanks for replying :).

Unfortunately didn't work, I didn't hear too much of a high pitched noise, do I have to have my graphics card in when I take my battery out ?
It would have been a very quick squeak sound when the capacitors are discharged. You do not have to have your graphics card in when taking the battery out.

When you powered it back on did you any different beeps? If you didn't, do you have any friends with DDR3 RAM that you know works and try booting off of that?

Mar 22, 2020
It would have been a very quick squeak sound when the capacitors are discharged. You do not have to have your graphics card in when taking the battery out.

When you powered it back on did you any different beeps? If you didn't, do you have any friends with DDR3 RAM that you know works and try booting off of that?
Yeah, so l just do these steps again with ram I know works.

Mar 22, 2020
Yeah. You shouldn't have to clear the BIOS again, but it won't hurt anything if you do.
I've tried booting with lots of ram I know that works that's obviously the right slot and ddr3. Except that the ram I used was all 1600mhz and the only kind that works now is 667mhz, all the rest gives the same 3 beeps, that's why I'm thinking it's my motherboard, it is pretty old after all

Then your motherboard is probably messed up and dying. At this point you computer is at least 7 years old, so an upgrade isn't out of the question.

Solution
Mar 22, 2020
Yeah that's what I was thinking, and I guess I can't really get a newer gen motherboard that will match the rest of my components. Honestly not mad about that at all 😂. Time to get something better haha, thanks dude.