Question Is My Motherboard Bad?

Jun 13, 2020
So I have had my gaming PC for about 5 years now. Recently I was away from home for several days so I had turned my computer off. When I returned home I tried turning my computer on and nothing. After pressing the power button nothing happened. No fans, nothing. After several button presses and some swearing the pc just turned on when I was walking away. It took a long time to load into windows but it did and everything seemed alright. With windows loaded, I tried launching a game and noticed it was extremely choppy, to the point of being unplayable. No matter what game I try to launch they will not play at normal speed. Other applications seemed to work just fine, but they themselves might be experiencing a slowdown. Another problem, at hand was the computer will not reboot nor shutdown without holding the power button. I do not know what is wrong. On another note, my cpu is liquid cooled with a variable speed fan setup. The fans now run at 100% and are unresponsive to a change in fan speed. (The Kraken software can no longer change the fan speed).

When the computer wouldn't turn on I remapped the reset button to the power button and still nothing. Sometimes the PC will turn on with one click of the button and other times not. I have changed power supply power cables, switched powerstrip sockets, and went straight to the wall outlet, and this has not changed anything with the system's current issues.

Somebody please help!!

My system specs are:
CPU: i7 4790k currently running stock speeds
CPU Cooler: Kraken 240mm Liquid Cooler with twin Noctua fans running a push pull setup
RAM: 32GB of Corsair 1800 Gaming sticks
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 3 z97
GPU: MSI 6G 980ti
Sound Card: Soundblaster THX PCIE card
PSU: 1000W EVGA Titanium Full Modular
Storage: 1x250GB SSD(Other than Boot Drive),2x 1TB 7400 RPM HDD

HamsterKing

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
Try downloading CPUID HWMonitor, to check if the CPU temp are high, most likely when the AIO fans are running crazy something is wrong with the AIO. then for the power button problem i think its the Motherboard socket, but i have a Gigabyte gaming G1, still running strong just that the AIO died on me maybe its time to get the AIO

Jun 13, 2020
So my CPU temp is sitting at 33-38 degrees Celsius. The CPU shows no sign of having issues. I don't get blue screens random crashes or any kind of temperature warnings, which I have setup through my kraken software.

Jun 13, 2020
Try downloading CPUID HWMonitor, to check if the CPU temp are high, most likely when the AIO fans are running crazy something is wrong with the AIO. then for the power button problem i think its the Motherboard socket, but i have a Gigabyte gaming G1, still running strong just that the AIO died on me maybe its time to get the AIO
Would the motherboard socket failing cause the slowdown of the games and potentially the OS and other applications?

Jun 13, 2020
but you say that everything is running smoothing except that when you try to game, how about when you watch a video does it have any choppy effect?
So it appears windows and applications such as internet explorer are running fine. Being that they aren't exactly super demanding maybe the slowdown isn't as apparent as it is with games. The last time I tried booting my computer steam itself seemed to be taking a bit longer to load the pages requested. I have not tried to watch YouTube videos. The computer is currently off and doesn't reliably turn on so I couldn't exactly test that theory. During my last test with the PC the computer turned on with the first click of the power button and booted into windows relatively quick. I was stoked. I went to play Warhammer total war 2, which had to receive a large patch (4.8gb worth) after downloading I immediately launched the game which took forever. When it launched I couldn't even make it past the Sega intro screen or the cinematics. All video was choppy extending into the main menu. I exited and proceeded to launch Borderlands 2 (a game on a different hdd) it too was slow although not as bad. It was in a different resolution and I couldn't even change it without a hang-up. I exited to the desktop and checked system temps and utilizations. Cpu temp was rocking a 38 degree Celsius with very little utilization

HamsterKing

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
should be something is wrong with the GPU too, do you have any extra GPU to test out? or can you just use the intergrated GPU from your MOBO just to confirm that its not the GPU problem. as for the power button issue, maybe something wrong with the case pin that is connect to the mobo?

Jun 13, 2020
should be something is wrong with the GPU too, do you have any extra GPU to test out? or can you just use the intergrated GPU from your MOBO just to confirm that its not the GPU problem. as for the power button issue, maybe something wrong with the case pin that is connect to the mobo?
So I have removed the GPU and ran on the onboard accelerator with same problem. I also ran MSI Kombustor and 3Dmark to test the 980ti which it passed. The MSI afterburner program which I use to control the card shows acceptable temps and usage. I have pulled each stick of RAM to see if one was bad and nothing changed except windows and the bios knew the amount changed. The only thing I haven't done yet is completely remove all components and clean them and test a different PSU which I have I believe a 650w full modular I can test with. All the years I have been messing with computers I haven't had a component fail outside disk drives so this is just completely throwing me for a loop. I can't think of what could be causing this

TRENDING THREADS