Old specs:
Gigabyte 78-LMT Motherboards
FX 6200 processor
2x DDR3 8gb
Sata Crucial 1tb SSD
GTX 1060 GPU
Corsair CX750 PSU

Hello,

I have recently attempted to upgrade using the specs above.

Couldnt get the updgraded pc to power up. Tried all kinds of problem solving. Tried gradually stripping out components to identify the problem, including switching my ram around and using one to see if that was the issue. Eventually had the new system stripped right down to just the motherboard and CPU, nothing else attached, not even fans. Motherboard was even not screwed in, just supported on a cardboard box with nothing else touching the motherboard that could cause a short. Would not power on. Tried shorting the motherboard using a screw driver on the the two power connectors on the mother board. Still would not power up. But I could charge my phone using the USB port on the motherboard?? to be clear the system is seemingly completely dead, no fans, no lights, no signs of life whatsoever.

Tried disconnecting and re-attaching power connecters to mother board multiple times, Im sure thats not the issue.

Eventually, gave up and rebuilt my old pc which I am currently using to write this message, so its working fine.

If I can charge my phone using the MB USB port, does that mean the MB is fine?

I am thinking I might need to replace the MB as it is faulty. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. Include it's age as well.

MSI B450 Tomohawk Max ii motherboard
Ryzen 7 5700G processor

Did you make sure that the motherboard came with the latest BIOS update? Without it, you won't be able to take advantage of the APU.

frostie102

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
Hi Lutfij,
My PSU is a Corsair CX750.

I am aware that I will need to update the bios on the B450 for it to run the 5700G. Have it ready to go on a flash drive. But the system needs to boot up for me to do that.
Thanks