Is my motherboard bottle necking me?

Ultra_Man52

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Hello everyone! Recently I have been wondering how people get freakin' 400 fps on csgo. And I think to myself "Why can't I be good?", so I blame it on the frames. I don't want to blame it on the frames anymore, so I would like to get good frames without overclocking.

Specs:
1GB GTX 650 (I'm trying to go straight to a 1070 from this, lol)
i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
750CX Corsair PSU
ECS H87H3-WM Motherboard (Basically a piece of cardboard)
16 GB of various RAM

So yeah. It could be that my GPU is absolute trash, but I would like some more knowledgeable people to tell me if it is trash. Thanks!

Solution
First, stick to one thread per problem please. Opening more then one is just spamming, and I don't like that. ;)

Start off by making sure everything is running like it should be. The 650 is an older card and the heatsink might be full of dust. 16GBs of "various" ram might not have the settings right. Make sure you have everything running like it should be. But I do put the blame on the 1GB 650. Not a lot of Vram and it's an older card that wasn't top of the line to start with. Upgrade your GPU and you should be doing better.

Ultra_Man52

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Ok now I got a 970 SC so the problem can't be the graphics card. I am still only getting around 200 fps when I hear other people are getting 500! I am playing on lowest settings, could it be my motherboard?

Respectable
Jun 7, 2016
Either way your FPS doesn't matter above your monitors refresh rate, but if you are looking to brag about 9000 FPS cause it rocks then yes it's probably time to upgrade your MB and Ram.

Maybe you have RAM installed with different latency, various isn't too specific.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Ultra_Man52 : "What is bottle necking me!?!"

what fps do you get everything maxed out?

4745454b

Titan
First, stick to one thread per problem please. Opening more then one is just spamming, and I don't like that. ;)

Start off by making sure everything is running like it should be. The 650 is an older card and the heatsink might be full of dust. 16GBs of "various" ram might not have the settings right. Make sure you have everything running like it should be. But I do put the blame on the 1GB 650. Not a lot of Vram and it's an older card that wasn't top of the line to start with. Upgrade your GPU and you should be doing better.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
Ok now I got a 970 SC so the problem can't be the graphics card. I am still only getting around 200 fps...Ok I now have a gtx 970 SC. I am still getting like 100 fps with settings at low.

It's getting really hard for me to follow what you have, and what you are getting in what game seeing as you keep saying stuff, sometimes contradicting yourself.

i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
750CX Corsair PSU
ECS H87H3-WM Motherboard (Basically a piece of cardboard)
16 GB of various RAM
GTX 970 SC

What games at what settings give you what FPS? Did you check for temps and bios settings? Congrats on getting the new card, but we need a lot more/better details. And please test with Fraps or in game frame counter. Don't just make up numbers and think it's right.

Ultra_Man52

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

Sorry for not being exact with basically anything. I play CSGO at 4:3, 1280x960 with everything at low. I have multicore rendering on. No anti-aliasing mode. Texture filter is bilinear, and FXAA is on. I get 140-150 fps when playing on most maps. It sometimes drops down to 80-90 fps when I walk into certain spots on cache. I don't use any custom 3D settings on the NVIDIA control panel. Yes I used in game frame counter to get this. Sorry for all the hassle.

Ultra_Man52

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

The card runs at 34 degrees idle and 43 in game. I am running in 16x mode. And by drop down to 720 do you mean my old graphics card? Sorry I just don't know what else would go to 720.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

the resolution you play at, 1280 x 720 is what he means

Ultra_Man52

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

I got a 20 fps boost.

TRENDING THREADS