Question Is my motherboard bricked?

Aug 4, 2022
I spent all day yesterday trying to update my bios. I have definitely made things worse.

My motherboard is the B550 A PRO, my CPU is the Ryzen 9 5900x, the rest of my parts are here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dj4kW4

I have installed everything from the list, I am going to transfer my GPU (GTX 1070 ti) and storage from my old pc once I get this working.

So far:
I plugged in my computer to my monitor (I have since learned I probably need the graphics card installed to show anything) and because it didn't display anything I went ahead with the flashing process as I understand it.

I formatted my old 8gb sandisk FAT32 using the builtin linux mint formatter, renamed the .AA0 file MSI.ROM, plugged it in, and the light blinked for a good few minutes like it said it would, then the light stopped blinking but the computer just stayed on, so I turned it off and turned it back on to no luck. At this point I noticed the CPU light was on and figured out what that was. I don't remember if it was on at the start.

I tried a couple more times to the same results, double checked I was using MBR and tried resetting the CMOS. I took the battery out, took a shower, dried off, put the battery back in, and now the power button turns it on but (even holding it down) does not turn it off. I tried resetting CMOS again using the reset pins the manual talks about, and no change. I am no longer getting the flashback light to blink more than a few times.

I tried taking out the battery, shorting the pins, waiting an hour, and that didn't help either.

The only thing I can see I haven't tried is taking out the CPU but I don't want to screw anything up further.

help!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

and storage from my old pc once I get this working.
Please be sure to reinstall your OS if you're swapping platforms. If you get this build up and running, that is.

I formatted my old 8gb sandisk FAT32
Try and work with another pen drive. Also, how long did you wait before you flipped the switch on the system? Try and perform the BIOS flash, with an older BIOS revision, like 7C56vA9.

Which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard?

Too tight of a cooler mount can also cause an issue. Also, is your AIO plugged into the right headers on the motherboard?

Aug 4, 2022
the only other drive i have is a new 3.1 128gb one which i've read can cause problems? I may have tightened the cooler too much, and I did have all 4 ram slots populated, I removed the two dimm1 slots.

my pump is plugged into pump_fan1 and the fans are plugged into cpu_fan1.

I will loosen the cooler then try with an earlier revision

Aug 4, 2022
same results. should i take one of the two remaining sticks of ram out? They come as a pair, I don't know if that will cause an issue.

and to answer your question about how long i waited to flip the switch on the system the first time, probably a minute. I should have waited longer, but the red light had stopped blinking so I assumed it was done.

Aug 4, 2022
breakthrough! I have gotten the red light to continue flashing and the problem was that the CPU power connection was loose. I've been here before, I will update if I hit any further snags.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The red blinking finished, the lights are still on (including the cpu debug white led) should I turn it off and put the video card in to try and look at the bios or should I wait until it powers off by itself?
When the light stop flashing it's finished it should turn off and then turn back on, yes you can turn it off and install the card.

You did not turn the motherboard on with the power button then use the BIOS flashback button did you?

EDIT the only things you need on the board or connected is the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors with the power supply switch turned on.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU7ZMmSmu20

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022
When the light stop flashing it's finished it should turn off and then turn back on, yes you can turn it off and install the card.

You did not turn the motherboard on with the power button then use the BIOS flashback button did you?

EDIT the only things you need on the board or connected is the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors with the power supply switch turned on.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU7ZMmSmu20
The new BIOS is installed, the CPU is detected, now figuring out reinstalling my OS. Thanks for the help!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The new BIOS is installed, the CPU is detected, now figuring out reinstalling my OS. Thanks for the help!

Make sure the only drive connected is the drive for the OS.

TRENDING THREADS