[SOLVED] Is my motherboard broken ?

lepushominis

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Hi, I recently took apart a couple of old computers that were lying around, and tried to use some of their parts, with a new graphics card and case, to make a decent new pc. I am pretty experienced with pc hardware but I've never built a pc pretty much from scratch like this.

I put everything together, and I wasn't really surprised when it didn't work first time round. However, after a lot of testing it still isn't working. When turned on the fans turn on, and all the components seem powered, however the pc does not boot, and I don't even get any beeps.

Tried going down to 1 ram stick, and different types of ram. Tried using different graphics cards, unplugging various different things. Because I am using a lot of old parts I am wondering if it is perhaps an issue with the motherboard, or if nor maybe the cpu? Really stuck on this one, any ideas would be appreciated. Hopefully I'm missing something obvious

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS p6x58d-e (I think)
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-930 Processor
Graphics card: Nvidia 1050ti (but i can test different ones)
RAM: I've tried 'hmt42gr7bmr4c-g7' as well as 'mt16jtf51264az-1g4d1', have 6 sticks of each
PSU: corsair tx950w psu

Solution

yes. its a battery they do not last forever.
cr2032 3v lithium is the standard CMOS battery type.
the local dollar store has 4 for a buck. your mileage may vary

my go to test for the motherboard is: force a beep code
1 make sure the speaker is connected to the FRONT PANEL CONNECTOR speakers plugged into the sound card/motherboard will not work.
2 remove ALL the RAM from the system, verify keyboard and CPU and GPU are installed and powered correctly if needed
3 turn on the system, count the beeps - motherboards will throw a beeping hissy fit with no RAM. working ones anyway.

if...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

yes. its a battery they do not last forever.
cr2032 3v lithium is the standard CMOS battery type.
the local dollar store has 4 for a buck. your mileage may vary

my go to test for the motherboard is: force a beep code
1 make sure the speaker is connected to the FRONT PANEL CONNECTOR speakers plugged into the sound card/motherboard will not work.
2 remove ALL the RAM from the system, verify keyboard and CPU and GPU are installed and powered correctly if needed
3 turn on the system, count the beeps - motherboards will throw a beeping hissy fit with no RAM. working ones anyway.

if you cannot force a beep code in this way it has been my experience the board has died.
perform after a fresh BIOS battery has been installed.

also make sure the clear CMOS jumper is on the right pins.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS