[SOLVED] Is my motherboard capping my wifi speed?

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
I just got Bell 1.5gbps internet and my upload speed seems to be caped around 30mbps for my upload. My download is around 300mbps which is around what I expected but my upload speed is really terrible. I use Wifi on my PC and use the built in Wifi Card for my motherboard. I cannot switch to ethernet or I would have done so. Asus claims that my wifi speed has a max of 1700mbps and the download speed is topping out however the upload speed is not. Is it worth buying a new wifi card to solve this issue and have the upload speed around 300mbps like on my other devices in the area?

Solution
On the 2.4ghz band it is only 100mbps download and same upload
The upload is faster with the 2.4Ghz connection, correct? If so, the issue is the 5Ghz connection and whatever is between you and the router.

You can add a network extender to help with this. You can also use powerline adapters or ethernet, or repositioning the router and/or device in question. You do have options, including leaving what you have, as it. Unless you are uploading large files to the cloud, for example, your upload speed has little impact on typical gaming and internet performance.

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
What is the specific make/model of the wi-fi adapter you are referring to?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
On the 2.4ghz band it is only 100mbps download and same upload
The upload is faster with the 2.4Ghz connection, correct? If so, the issue is the 5Ghz connection and whatever is between you and the router.

You can add a network extender to help with this. You can also use powerline adapters or ethernet, or repositioning the router and/or device in question. You do have options, including leaving what you have, as it. Unless you are uploading large files to the cloud, for example, your upload speed has little impact on typical gaming and internet performance.

Last edited:
Solution