[SOLVED] Is my motherboard compatible with new cards?

Feb 18, 2020
I'm not very good as these things so I'm looking for some help here.
I own a very old motherboard, called P8Z68-V LX.
This post is not about replacing my motherboad, as some might suggest. I want to know if this motherboard is compatible with https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1650WF2OC-4GD#kf this card.
I don't understand what I should look for, at the moment I own a 770 2G which works well with my current motherboard.

Thank you :love:

Solution
The mobo is compatible with the gpu.

The PCIe slot version on your motherboard is version 2, the interface on the GTX 1650 is PCIe version 3.0. Meaning the card probably has a higher bandwidth than the motherboard is likely to be able to receive.
PCIE 3.0 is backwards-compatible with 2.0.
A GTX 1650 isn't going to over-saturate PCIE 2.0 x16, which is roughly equivalent to 3.0 x8, and there's only like 2 cards that can over-saturate that:
-RTX 2080Ti
-RTX Titan

The combination of motherboard and 1650 will be just fine.
Compatible, yes. But not fully supporting, I'm afraid.

The PCIe slot version on your motherboard is version 2, the interface on the GTX 1650 is PCIe version 3.0. Meaning the card probably has a higher bandwidth than the motherboard is likely to be able to receive.

Chances are that your motherboard is fast enough, but I doubt anyone can give you a straight answer. I can't recommend buying that card to combine it with your motherboard.

Reactions: victoria10

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

A GTX 1650 isn't going to over-saturate PCIE 2.0 x16, which is roughly equivalent to 3.0 x8, and there's only like 2 cards that can over-saturate that:
-RTX 2080Ti
-RTX Titan

Reactions: victoria10
Solution
Feb 18, 2020

-RTX 2080Ti
-RTX Titan

That's lovely to hear. I might just buy a new motherboard and other parts in the future. Just got plenty of other expenditures atm. Have a great day!