[SOLVED] Is my Motherboard/CPU combo holding my 3080ti back?

CameronCant

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon NOT AC
R7 3800xt

I have to use Vsync at the very least Adaptive Sync because I'm using a Sony OLED as a monitor that doesn't have VRR or HDMI 2.1. I'm playing games at 4K High/Ultra settings aiming for only 60fps.

I can accomplish this on almost any game HOWEVER I get some stutter and frame drop in game (I'm assuming from VSync) but I don't have that issue in Benchmark or running No Vsync.

So my question is would upgrading my CPU and or Mobo help with this?

I'm not really concerned about cost so if there is improvment to be made I am willing to do so.

The rest of my system is;

G Skill Flare X 3200 cl14 running Memory Try it at 3600 Cl16 16 16 36 which I've had no issues with stability (unless this could be hurting in some way)
EVGA Supernova 1000w with 3 independent pcie cables running to GPU
Barracuda. 2TB HDD with games installed
Samsung EVO SSD with OS installed.

Just looking for input on if anything could help with this issue.

I could also potentially get a HDMI 2.1 Display if that would help eliminate any issues I'm having.

All drivers up to date though I did roll back to Driver before NIS was added because I prefer the old style of Image Scaling.

GPU usage stays in 80 percent range and temps in 50s because of Vsync and framerate limiter. This has been tested and without those engaged Usage goes to 99 and Temps in 70s.

CPU Temp stays in 50s.

Any help or feedback appreciated. Thanks,

Solution
I am not sure what would be causing the stutters. I am personally on a similar system and setup. I have a 3900x with 32gb of 3600mghz CL14-15-14-30 RAM with a 3080 and I use a 55" LG CX OLED TV for a lot of gaming. Personally, I would look into getting whatever LGs latest and greatest OLED at a size you want. They are all 120hz, true HDMI 2.1, and have G-Sync compatibility.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Use fraps or similar to gauge your frame rate. Your gpu should exceed 60fps in most games but side effect of that wouldn't look good on a 60Hz display with mismatched frame rate. Use Nvidia's frame limiter set to 59 whilst having vsync on.

CameronCant

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
Would FSR cause this also?

You suggest 59 frame limit? I've seen conflicting stuff online saying 1 frame under 3-4 frames under.

At this point it's becoming maddening. I have been usin MSI Afterburner to monitor everything and framerate over 60 is never an issue, it's just trying to eliminate screen tearing that has me pulling my hair out.

CameronCant

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
Can test yourself if you feel input lag with no fps limit (vsync on) then try 59. If don't feel input lag at 59 then the single frame is doing it's phantom job. Did for me, never had to set more than 1.
I don't really notice input lag especially in single player games like Far Cry 6. I'm more concerned about Vsync limiting my Gpus potential at outputting Max graphics

I am not sure what would be causing the stutters. I am personally on a similar system and setup. I have a 3900x with 32gb of 3600mghz CL14-15-14-30 RAM with a 3080 and I use a 55" LG CX OLED TV for a lot of gaming. Personally, I would look into getting whatever LGs latest and greatest OLED at a size you want. They are all 120hz, true HDMI 2.1, and have G-Sync compatibility.

Solution

CameronCant

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
I think I'm only gonna be satisfied with HDMI 2.1. To be clear the only game I'm experiencing any stutter is Far Cry 6 so it might just be crap optimization. I also turned OFF GPU scheduling and it seems to have help.

To my original point nobody seems to think that my mobo and CPU are not ideal for my gpu so I'm probably going to upgrade to VRR and just make the best of it.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Reactions: helper800