[SOLVED] Is my motherboard/CPU fried

Feb 20, 2019
Greetings,

So i just did a stupid thing.

I was doing bare bread on my system to check if my ram is faulty or not. when I plugged in the 4 pin cpu connector on the motherboard, i didnt notice the other 4 pin was accidently touched the mobo's 3 pin fan. so i turned my system on without noticing it, there was a spark sound, and there was a burnt smell. i then quickly turned off the psu switch in panic.

i knew something went wrong, but i dont want to lose hope yet. so i tried to turn it on again this time without the 4 pin touching the 3 pin. the system did turned on, but no boot. and when i touch my cpu, it does not heat up at all. and i did smell a burnt smell on the backside of the motherboard. the question is, which one did i accidently fried? if mobo was fried, why can i still turn the system on? they was no burnt smell or any burnt marks on the cpu if it was fried instead.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019
i do have a theory, since the incident happened near the cpu power connector, that area seemed affected. and there's a burnt smell on the backside of the mobo directly below the cpu power connected. meaning the power does not go into the cpu power connector hence cpu not heating up. but putting the theory aside i might as well do the part test. will update once i know which one is fried. thanks for the replies.

TRENDING THREADS