[SOLVED] Is my motherboard dead for sure?

Dynamoo

Reputable
May 2, 2015
As the title suggests, I want confirmation that my mobo is completely dead before I order a new one.

So the thing is I was browsing youtube this morning on my pc and suddenly it turned off without any warning. I pushed the power button a few times but nothing happend. So I opened the case and there was this awful burning smell in there.
I took the mobo out and was not able to find any burning marks which was weird but later found a bit of brownish liquid sitting on the socket which is below the pcie socket (i'm sorry i dont know the name for the socket) and I did smell something burned in that area.
If i try to power up the pc the led on the fans switch on with the fans for a split second and then back to square one.

I'm pretty sure my mobo is shorted/ dead but just wanted to ask the community.

ps: I tested the psu and it's fine.

Solution
I'd personally associate that color with something being broken. I can't make sense of what that might be, as the capacitors seem to be okay. I can't tell you with certainty that it's your motherboard that's broken. It could very well be something else. Then again, we're talking about a budget motherboard from years back.
This is one of those typical "I could tell you in a second if I could see it" kinds of situations. I was going to suggest checking your PSU as well, but you tested that. I'm assuming your board is broken, but let's not jump to conclusions. Can you upload a picture on which your issue is clearly visible?

Dynamoo

Reputable
May 2, 2015
This is one of those typical "I could tell you in a second if I could see it" kinds of situations. I was going to suggest checking your PSU as well, but you tested that. I'm assuming your board is broken, but let's not jump to conclusions. Can you upload a picture on which your issue is clearly visible?
Yea sure, View: https://imgur.com/a/Z1bONHn

The white slot is what I was talking about, that's where the burning smell is coming from. I cleaned the liquid but you can still see a tiny bit of it in the 2nd picture.

I'd personally associate that color with something being broken. I can't make sense of what that might be, as the capacitors seem to be okay. I can't tell you with certainty that it's your motherboard that's broken. It could very well be something else. Then again, we're talking about a budget motherboard from years back.

Solution

Dynamoo

Reputable
May 2, 2015
Yeah it's from 2013 I believe, rip. Thanks for the help anyways, really appreciate it.