Sep 11, 2020
A few months ago I built my first pc and it has been working fine until this morning. It randomly turned off while I was using it (nothing too intensive) and then got stuck booting. I turned off the PSU to try and stop the repeating boot cycle and when I turned it back on and hit the power button nothing happened. So now when the pc is plugged in and the PSU is turned on the power button does nothing. The only thing that seems to be working is the RGB lights on the motherboard. The case fans and CPU fan do not spin and neither does the PSU fan when it's plugged into the motherboard. I don't think the issue is the PSU because I've tested it multiple times with the power supply tester that it came with and it seemed to be in working order. I manually tested that the power button wasn't the issue with the screwdriver jump start method but that also did nothing. I tried turning the pc on with just the CPU and one ram stick and again nothing happened. I even tried clearing the CMOS but that also did nothing. It seems to me like the motherboard is just dead because the PSU works but nothing else does. Is it the motherboard or have I overlooked some other possible cause?

Edit: I tested the PSU with a DMM and it seemed to be working fine so I replaced the motherboard and still nothing. I have no idea where to go from here.

PC specs:
Tuf Gaming X570 Plus (Wi-Fi) Mobo
Ryzen 7 3700x 8-core CPU
Geforce RTX 2060 6gb GPU
16gb (2x8) Ripjaws V series Memory
Seasonic Focus GX-650 PSU

Last edited:
I don't think the issue is the PSU because I've tested it multiple times with the power supply tester that it came with and it seemed to be in working order.
Is it the motherboard or have I overlooked some other possible cause?
It might be the (and/or) PSU, motherboard, and GPU. What you call "the PSU tester" is just a glorified paperclip and it does not test anything but PSU power-on.

I would take the GPU out, disconnect PCIe power, and try to just power it on with no GPU/monitor connected. If it does power on (and obviously gives a no video post signal) you will have more clue on what to do next.

Sep 11, 2020
It might be the (and/or) PSU, motherboard, and GPU. What you call "the PSU tester" is just a glorified paperclip and it does not test anything but PSU power-on.

I would take the GPU out, disconnect PCIe power, and try to just power it on with no GPU/monitor connected. If it does power on (and obviously gives a no video post signal) you will have more clue on what to do next.

I did this and it didn't fix anything.

Well, there is a way to test the PSU voltages with DMM, it does not test the load, just tells you if there are signs of life present...
You can find the expected values in this post. Your "tester" or a paper-clip required to power the PSU on, otherwise only "+5v stby" will be there.

You can sure go get a new mobo, just dotting all the "i" before making a statement.

Sep 11, 2020
Well, there is a way to test the PSU voltages with DMM, it does not test the load, just tells you if there are signs of life present...
You can find the expected values in this post. Your "tester" or a paper-clip required to power the PSU on, otherwise only "+5v stby" will be there.

You can sure go get a new mobo, just dotting all the "i" before making a statement.

Of course, I definitely don't want to buy any parts that I might not need. I don't have a DMM so I'd have to get one. Thanks for the info!