Question Is my motherboard defective?

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
Hello,
I have a X299 Mainboard from AsRock and a i7 7740X.
The PC did not start, I tested everything, and it seemed to be one of the four rams sticks.
No sticks - >BEEP
3 sticks - > work
Add 1 certain stick -> boot loop

So I ordered four new ram sticks.
Everything worked fine.
I reset the bios in order to make everything clean and fresh.
I turned the PC off, then wanted to turn it on again.
Now this happens:
The PC starts for about half a second.
You hear the psu turning on, the leds blink, and the fans spin.
But really for a fraction of a second. After that, it's dead and doesn't respond to anything anymore, until I replug the power cable.

Is this a bad motherboard?
I don't get to the bios even.
No beeps.
Just a fraction of a second where it wants to start, but fails...

Wolfshadw

Titan
Remove all of your new RAM and reinstall just one of your old RAM into the slot furthest from the CPU.
Try to boot your system.
Shut down the system. Move the one RAM module into the second furthest slot from the CPU.
Try to boot your system
Continue this until you've tested each RAM slot.
Post your results.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: TokyoSushiLlama

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
With no ram I get no beep. No matter the ram config, the result is that the pc starts up for half a second, the fans just start to spin, and then it turns itself off, and won't power on again until I repkug the power cord.
Any ideas?
Im afraid it's a motherboard issue pretty sure(?)

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
Which ASRock X299 motherboard do you have?

-Wolf sends
AsRock Extreme 4 in the ATX version... It's weird... This thing is always making problems... I now unplugged the nvme drives and basically everything but power and the cpu. No sign of life. Just a quick Impulse on the Fans, but nothing else. No beeps, nothing.

I tried to use 32000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX. I put all the sticks on the right side of the CPU for dual channel, as my cpu with its 16 PCIe Lanes won't do Quad channel.

Now I even took out the ram.
No beeps whatsoever... Took out CMOS battery, didn't help.
Since there's not even a boot loop or beeps, I'm pretty sure the Mainboard just passed away....

Should I return my Mainboard?
I really want to avoid this as I need my computer on a daily basis....

Last edited:

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
No, it's not the bios reset.
I used new ram and everything went fine. No problems for a day.
Turned the pc off, few hours later, and it doenst turn on anymore.
I tried the cmos reset in order to maybe fix the issue of the failing startup.

But yeah...
Probably the Mainboard...
Weird because I tested all dimm slots with a working stick and it worked fine.
It was not a slot but a stick that would prevent startup and cause beeps.
So I thought it's the ram, exchanged all 4 modules with a new kit.
Everything worked perfectly.
Then, all of a sudden, the pc doenst even turn on or at least beep anymore...

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
Well, if it worked before you reset the BIOS and it's not working after you reset the BIOS, even after returning the original RAM, then yes. I think it's probably that your board has failed.

-Wolf sends

Got a new one. AsRock Steel Legend, before that I had the Extreme 4 from AsRock.
Now I just have put it together and there's nothing. Not even the PSU turning on.
Darkness and silence, no beeps, nothing, only the Mainboards lighting is on, but that seems to always be the case, if power is provided.
I really don't want to upset my uncle, but my guess "now" is a dead CPU...
There was a problem with X299 killing CPUs when putting windows in s3 sleep mode (energy saving mode?)... Maybe that was the cause.

But what do you think?
Can I try anything else?
I did remove all ram sticks to get beeps, replugged all cables, made sure the cpu is well inserted.
It really really frustrates me, telling my uncle to replace the Ram, uhh Mainboard, uuuuh CPU.
I just wish we had avoided X299 altogether....

The PSU works when jumped with a wire

If there's any information that would be helpful, or things I can try, please let me know!!!!!

Please help me, this is such an uncomfortable, frustrating situation!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Troubleshooting is like that sometimes. Looks to be one thing and turns out to be something completely different (three or four steps later). I'd probably test the power supply in another computer and/or test another power supply in your computer. Just because it powers up doesn't mean it can provide the necessary power your system requires.

-Wolf sends

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
Troubleshooting is like that sometimes. Looks to be one thing and turns out to be something completely different (three or four steps later). I'd probably test the power supply in another computer and/or test another power supply in your computer. Just because it powers up doesn't mean it can provide the necessary power your system requires.

-Wolf sends
Yes that sounds like the right thing to do... Did hook the PSU to another system that works.
It didn't work with my PSU (1200W platinum LC series)...
Can I use a psu with 500W for the X299 system with only one 8pin cpu header for testing if it solves the issue?

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
Not sure if it will work, but you can try it.

-Wolf sends
Didn't work... What now?
I tested the PSU with another PC that works 100%...
So the 1200W platinum Lc power PSU is gone... But how do I know that replacing the PSU will solve my issues?
The Mainboard is factory new and should work, but the cpu.... (?)
There are no burn marks whatsoever but I don't know if the cpu got killed when the PSU died some day

Edit:
I tested with my PSU in my own PC (760W Seasonic X Series that works) and guess what: The X299 still won't give a sign of life....
What now???
The PSU of the system doesn't power any working system, but a new PSU does not solve the problem.

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you're completely sure that you've connected everything properly; your tested with a known working PSU and you've testing with a brand new motherboard, and you've still got nothing, then at this point, I'd return that X299 motherboard and start a new build from scratch.

-Wolf sends

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
If you're completely sure that you've connected everything properly; your tested with a known working PSU and you've testing with a brand new motherboard, and you've still got nothing, then at this point, I'd return that X299 motherboard and start a new build from scratch.

-Wolf sends

The thing is, the system worked fine.
Then it was shut off. Next day: Dead.
The 1200W PSU is dead, won't power any system.
My personal 760W PSU does power up my personal PC, it does power up an old amd system, but it doesn't power up the X299 system.
I tried everything.
All ram, no ram, a bit ram: no beeps, no post, nothing.
We can't say if the CPU works, right?
And since I got this MB new already as a replacement, I don't really know if it is the issue.
I would love to just switch to AMD Ryzen, leaving X299 behind forever.

But you would say it's likely a Dead on Arrival Mainboard than a dead CPU?

Do only MSIs X299 have the issue with keeling the CPU in S3 sleep mode? (what is S3 sleep mode even?)

Last edited:

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
The only way to test the CPU is to put it into a known, good motherboard/RAM/Power Supply system.
Without known good components, there's no way to tell if something died or if something arrived faulty.

CPU Sleep States
I don't know enough about X299 boards to know if any issues.

-Wolf sends

I will try to convince mindfactory to exchange my parts...
I hope I can escape the X299 hell that way.
What's the best ~300€ to ~350€ CPU AMD has to offer when looking for highest single core perfomance in their line up?
Can you recommend a Mainboard? Sadly there aren't any with 8 DIMM slots to leave space for upgrading later on, but I don't want to use threadripper because we need a better single core perfomance...

Last edited:

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
Thanks!
So you think the Ryzen 7 3800X is worth the premium over the 3700X with higher TDP and 100Mhz more?

Also, can you recommend a particular Mainboard that you like?

Would help me!
Thanks Wolfshadw :)

Wolfshadw

Titan
So you think the Ryzen 7 3800X is worth the premium over the 3700X with higher TDP and 100Mhz more?

Personally, no, but I'm not the one using it.

Also, can you recommend a particular Mainboard that you like?

Since I don't know what's available in your area, not really. Again, I tend to stick with Gigabyte and MSI for motherboards. Look for one of the X570 chip set boards (or an MSI B450 "MAX" series).

-Wolf sends

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
@Wolfshadw sadly we cant exchange the parts for an AMD System. They dont have the i7 7740X anymore. Whats the Socket 2066 X299 CPU that offers best price perfomance in the 300€-400€ price range? I know the whole lineup is pretty bad... but have no other choice :/ Would newer generations like the i7 9800X be compatible?

Wolfshadw

Titan
No. the newer generations are not going to be compatible. If AMD is not an option, then you should be looking at a newer generation Intel set up. You could go with a Z390 and 9th Gen Intel processor, but they're end-of-life. There is no upgrade path for them. Looks like LGA1200 (10th and 11th gen processors) are going to be the same way. Intel has already announced LGA 1700 sockets for the 12th Gen processors.

Given that your next processor purchase is likely going to be "one and done", I'd probably opt for a 10th Gen set up,

-Wolf sends

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
Hey, thank you for your help! @Wolfshadw
Sadly I have to work with what I have here...
So I'm stuck with the X299 AsRock Steel Legend Mainboard - what's the best CPU I could get for it :/? i7 7800X?
I'm really sorry but mindfactory only does return stuff 1 to 1... And I know it's hard to recommend any of these CPUs... What's the littlest pain?

Last edited:

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
Here we are, got a Ryzen 7 3700X and AsRock X570...
Many people say overclocking is completely unneeded for newe AMD CPUs as their factory turbo clocks are very good already.
I already activated XMP though to run the 4 Corsair LPX @3000MHz, didn't play with timings.
What clock would you recommend on the cpu along with core voltage and SoC voltage? Want to stay 100% stable :)
Have Aida64 for testing stability.
Currently:
4,2Ghz
1,25V core
1,15V SoC

runs well at 70-75 degree on wraith cooler... Should I / Could I push it further?
@Wolfshadw
Sorry that the question is very very specific, but I can't find good OC tutorials on this CPU :/

Last edited: