Question Is my motherboard defunct?

voncloft

Honorable
Sep 18, 2014
So I have a z279 asrock fatal1ty board.....and I am not sure if it is busted or not - it has been giving me problems since day one.

long story short it is capable of 64 gb of ram - which I have tried my best to get it to work with.

I have gone through 3 sets of ram 1 set was RMA'd (so thats the 2) and one set I recently bought

The first set I tried was 4 sets of 16gb the other is 2 32 gb sets.

If the first slot is filled with a ramslot but nothing else it boots just fine most of the time.....however any other combination of more than one ram stick will cause weird settings.

The error codes will go all over the place and can be varied with each boot.

other times it will get into the eufi settings .... then freeze

sometimes it will boot to the os....then later on freeze.

I can't believe I got 3 dead ram orders in a row? (all from newegg)

The current set of ram I have both were able to work in the first slot.

I was able to get to the "picture settings" of the board in the eufi settings and it did show both ram sticks being seen, but it quickly froze.

Is this just a bad board?

I did try clearing the cmos but that did nothing.

First ram set was g. skill (4 x 16gb) the 3rd is crucial memory (2 x 32gb)

I am unable to test anything at the moment it is at the repairshop just to diagnose and they should have an answer by wed-fri of next week.....what are your thoughts on this? This board has been nothing but trouble for me and I am at wits end.

Lutfij

Titan
Can you give us a full rundown on your system's specs? More like this:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU: age as well as make and model
Chassis:

Check and see what BIOS version you're on at the moment and cross-reference ASRock's support site if there are any BIOS updates pending.

voncloft

Honorable
Sep 18, 2014
Can you give us a full rundown on your system's specs? More like this:
CPU: i7-7700k
Motherboard: z279 fatal1ty
Ram: crucial (2 x 32gb)
SSD/HDD: seagate 1tb
GPU: Nvidia gtx 960
PSU: age as well as make and model (3 years old not sure of model but is 750 watt)
Chassis: custom case don't know it off the top of my head it's in the repair shop)
OS: version since you're going to be on Windows 10 and Linux from scratch.

Check and see what BIOS version you're on at the moment and cross-reference ASRock's support site if there are any BIOS updates pending.

I'm going to bed currently but will check in the morning for new posts.

TRENDING THREADS