Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
I built a new computer. These are it's components:

Windows 8.1
AMD FX 6300 Black Edition 3.5GHz
MSI Radeon R9 270 Gaming - 2GB
Motherboard MSI 970 Gaming
8GB Corsair Vengeance Ram

So; onto the problem. I downloaded Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim and Dead Island off steam after building this computer, and installing the various drivers.

It worked fine (or so I thought), and I proceeded to download/install mods to enhance my gaming experience. I played Fallout New Vegas for 30 minutes or so with no problems, then decided I'd come back to it the next day.

When I started it up the next day I had random 1 second lag spikes for no reason, the sound would continue in the background. I figured this was perhaps to do with mods, and went to Skyrim to play that instead. Skyrim is fully unmodded for me. I played that for a few minutes, and once again the same issue happened in this game.

So, I went to test it on Dead Island after that, and once again, lag spikes and FPS plummeting wildly.

I assumed this was perhaps to do with a corrupt harddrive, so I swapped it out and swapped in another, but my computer then refused to boot from that harddrive and said it was corrupted and windows couldn't start. This is obviously incorrect because another PC regularly boots from this harddrive with no problem. I put the harddrive back into its original computer and turned on, and it had no problem.

So, I decided to skip this piece of the testing to see which part was failing, and instead went to turn it back on again. When I did this my monitor stayed in stand-by and refused to show a picture. I looked at the graphics card (which has two fans built into it) and noted that the fans started to spin up, then instantly slowed down and died, and started spinning again, and died again. Repeatedly.

I put in another graphics card to test it, and the computer still refused to show a picture on the monitor. Once again, this other graphics card is working perfectly on another PC.

Now; my computer won't show up on the monitor at all, the graphics card still has the fan spinning problem. All the LED's and fans on the computer are working, the DVD drive opens, the CPU fan spins up and works with no problem, however none of the USB's have power going into them. The mouse doesn't have lights, the keyboard doesn't have lights, I attempted to charge a PS4 controller off it, and there's no power once again.

Does this sound like a 100% motherboard failure problem?

I need to know by tomorrow because I'm outside of my DOA return policy by then from the website I bought it from.

GahRii

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015

I can test another CPU. Would this 100% guarantee it's motherboard failure?