Is my motherboard dying?

artimusbill

Distinguished
May 23, 2007
I built my Mom a computer using some parts left over from a system of mine. It is an Athlon XP 1800+ on an Epox 8RDA nforce2 motherboard. Lately, she has been having issues where it seems only 2 out of three things work; those being sound, printer, and lan. She says they will not work together anymore. I have verified this to be true. The motherboard is about four years old (I think), as well as the cpu/ram (1gb, 3 pieces). She was on AOL (now yahoo dsl), and the AOL dialer also kicks in randomly, but I think that is a separate issue.

My question is, what might cause this? A dying motherboard? I have run a pc diagnostics app (System Mechanic 7), and it did it's thing with no help to my issues (no huge supprise there). I have never had a motherboard exibit a slow death, if that is what this issue is. The random, intermittent thing is driving me nuts.

Suggestions, or comments? Thanks in advance.
Artimusbill

Additional information:
XP Home SP2
SB Audigy value something
Lexmark usb printer
SBC Yahoo DSL

Any chance you can save all the important stuff and then do a clean install to get rid of all the 'Arsehole On Line' stuff and see what happens BEFORE you put any Yahoo crap on there. (I don't like Yahoo because of what they have done to the Eurosport Moto GP site :twisted: )

artimusbill

Distinguished
May 23, 2007
I was trying to avoid a wipe/reinstall. But I can back it up, and do that. I think I may order a new board and cpu for her, and start over. I have done virus scans, and spyware scans.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
It's very unlikely to be the motherboard! It sounds more like a Windows problem. Was this a fresh install onto this system? HAVE you checked free disk space? How much RAM? If you change the motherboard/CPU you will need to do a fresh install anyway.

Mike.

artimusbill

Distinguished
May 23, 2007
It's very unlikely to be the motherboard! It sounds more like a Windows problem. Was this a fresh install onto this system? HAVE you checked free disk space? How much RAM? If you change the motherboard/CPU you will need to do a fresh install anyway.

Mike.

Was a fresh install, have like 40gb free hd space, and 1gb ram.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
You will have to be more specific. Those 3 things have problems at the same time or they switch? And its random? If so tell us what your doing and if there is any pattern. The cpu isn't over clocked or anything right? What about drivers? Also what kind of mouse and things like that? I have seen thing slike mice and keyboards do funky things to computers, make it lock up, not start at all etc. You would be surprised what can cause it.

I would suggest doing this, unplug everything such as sound card, mice keyboard usb etc including printers, scanners, modems. turn it on, let windows clear out everything, then hit the power button so windows will shut down and power off, now turn it on and just use the mouse or keyboard one at a time and see if it has any problems. Now un hook that and restart, and try it with something else. Once all taht is done if you still have the problem when you normal it up, try it with the ram, take all but one stick out and do a ram check on it, then try the next etc.

Was it running fine then it just started doing this? were there any changes?

Also make sure you go to nvidia.com and get the latest driers for the video card, mb, sound card, printer and anything else you can think of, that may help as well.

Its just a simple process of elimination.