Is my motherboard faulty?

George3356

Reputable
Nov 18, 2016
Hey guys, not sure where to put my question but this forum seems closest.

Some 2 weeks ago, my pc froze, I had to restart it (this had been happening a lot lately) but this time I couldn't start my pc anymore. Turned out the pc wouldn't start with the GPU plugged in. So I sent it for RMA, but I also noticed that my USB 3.0 ports don't work. They provide power but windows doesn't recognize them at all and device manager says that the asmedia hcxi driver wasnt able to launch, code 10 or something like that. I tried all possible drivers, I tried clearing CMOS and all the remedies I could find online, nothing helped. I even did a clean install of windows. On top of this problem, I started having this problem that sometimes upon pressing the power button, the pc doesn't even go to the Asus(pre-bios screen) and freezes with a white dash (non blinking, frozen). So I have to restart and then after several tries it goes into windows. There are also other times when the screen shows a screen with "USB device over current detected, system will shut down in 15 seconds" I tried removing all the USB devices and it still does that. 5restarts fix this though.

What I'd like to know is - what could be the cause? Could a bad PSU cause this? Or is it the motherboard? Mzy MB is Asus h81 plus, PSU is seasonic 500w which ive had for some 7 years now, the GPU I had was r9 270.

Thanks a lot for any ideas!!

Regards, George

George3356

Reputable
Nov 18, 2016

Hi I wouldn't know. How can I tell? Should I try updating the BIOS or something? And do you think the PSU is OK? I just bought one to test it whether it makes the same error as I can return it in 2 weeks but if I could rule it out, I would rather not open it and return it unopened. Thanks a lot!

you said : the pc wouldn't start with the GPU plugged in. So I sent it for RMA
what was the result of this RMA ?

I would remove anything connected to USB ports, including Mouse, Keyboard (including Wireless Keyboard/mice)
you're PS2 keyboard is fine, you can leave it plugged in. Boot system, if it works, add in keyboard, etc. one at a time and test. when it does boot properly the last device you plugged in is the faulty item and should be replaced.

If it still does not start, you will need to open the case, look for the internal USB connectors to the motherboard for front USB ports and internal USB hubs (front or back) and disconnect those from the motherboard (all of them, usually about 2-3 block connectors, take a look for bent pins as well on these connections, then tip the case a bit and look for loose screws rolling around inside of your case that could short something.
try to boot pc this way, if it does start up then shut down and add in one internal plug at a time until it no longer boots, that will be the problem piece of hardware at should be replaced.

if it doesn't boot after removing all usb port from motherboard and additional pci cards from system, I would try changing ram if you have a new set handy to see the result.

you can look at your user manual at this page for where the internal usb ports are located : https://www.manualslib.com/manual/547823/Asus-H81m-Plus.html?page=10#manual

George3356

Reputable
Nov 18, 2016

Hi, no result yet, I sent it for RMA a week ago.

I think I have already tried plugging one after another, but it still froze at the white dash screen/usb overcurrent even without usb devices plugged in. I will try again.

I will try removing the internal usb ports and will come back with the result. Also, I dont have any PCI cards plugged in, the GPU was the only one in the PCIE slot.

Thanks a lot, I will try Your solutions and come back with the results :)

Anyway my PSU is this https://www.alfa.cz/product.php?eid=105160000000000LNE is it really OK to keep using it? I have had it for 7-8 years now, and my other components are i5 4460 CPU, R9 270 GPU.

EDIT: I will have to check, but I think there is only 1 cable leading to number 13 on the layout, the left one to be precise, from the front panel USBs - these work. I dont think I have any other USB cables plugged into the MB - would that be wrong? But I will check.

I am no expert when it comes to power supplies "models and choices" there are numerous brands in the usa sold under different names in other countries and vice versa, I cannot even begin to establish a quality meter on the PSU you own, I suggest looking into CZ web sites that may compare PSU and decide if you need another. but my mother told me, if it is not broke, why change it.

a quick search seems to indicate this is a current power supply on newegg,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151080 quality rating 80 bronze

George3356

Reputable
Nov 18, 2016
Hi, So i just took out the motherboard, there are no Loose screws lying around, everything is tight. I tried booting the pc with no devices and still it freezes on the dash sometimes. I didn't get the usb overcurrent error lately though i think. Anyway the usbs are smoldered into the motherboard So there is no way to remove them if i understood what You meant?