[SOLVED] is my motherboard faulty?

Jul 7, 2020
Hi there, bit of an annoying random one.

My pc has been running fine for months now, using it nearly ever day.
Until this morning, i turned it on and it didnt boot or even post. All the lights and fans came on, keyboard lit up, but nothing beyond that. Pretty sure its crashing straight away because it doesn't turn off with the power button and needs a hard reset.
Ive basically disconectrd everything non-essential to load into bios; Hard drives (both sata and m.2), all usb devices, audio cables even internal usb and fan headers. Still getting the same issue, crashes before post, fans and lights are on, but requires hard reset.
Tested another working graphics card and tried on board graphics, same issue.
Removed the RAM and get RAM missing beep codes!
So that confused me because I was starting to think the MB was toast, but it seems it can actually detect still, and now im stumped. Possibly it works enough to detect RAM but its too broken to post?
I'm not that up for removing the cpu as i dont have another to test with anyway and im pretty confident it's not that..
I've run out of ideas, so any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks.

My system:

CPU- i7 8086k
Motherboard- ASrock extreme4 z370
RAM- 2 x 8gb Corsair vengeance 3200
Graphics card- Nvidia 2080ti FE
System drive- Samsung 970 evo NVME.
PSU- EVGA supernova 850w gold
OS- Win 10 pro

Jul 7, 2020
Ok so the RAM-fu seemed to work! Nice one guys.
I guess either one stick or one slot is faulty and hanging up the whole system. I suppose if only 1 out of 2 sticks fails it wont trigger the RAM beep code but does Prevent bios from loading. Wierd one. I will do a bit more testing to locate the fault.
Unfortunately my watercooling block sits over my first ram slot, so if it is slot 4 that is faulty i wont be able to run dual channel without a new MB. Oh well.
Again, thanks guys,

-edit-
Yeah seems like one of my RAM sticks is faulty. Better outcome than motherboard i suppose. Solved.

Last edited: