Question Is my motherboard fried?

Assoul

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
I have an older Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ motherboard. I recently replaced the CPU fan and noticed that the rear retaining bracket was held in place with two felt pads that rested on the rear of the motherboard attached with an adhesive. I used my fingers to rub off the excess adhesive and then reattached the bracket with new pads to this. Reassembled the motherboard, powered on, and all the fans and video card fans turn on fine, but no video. I've even tried it with different cards, ports and monitors. Also noticed that the LAN port doesn't illuminate. Is my board fried? Let me know if you can recommend something else.

Thanks!

I have an older Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ motherboard. I recently replaced the CPU fan and noticed that the rear retaining bracket was held in place with two felt pads that rested on the rear of the motherboard attached with an adhesive. I used my fingers to rub off the excess adhesive and then reattached the bracket with new pads to this. Reassembled the motherboard, powered on, and all the fans and video card fans turn on fine, but no video. I've even tried it with different cards, ports and monitors. Also noticed that the LAN port doesn't illuminate. Is my board fried? Let me know if you can recommend something else.

Thanks!
If that back plate for the cooler is metal, it needs to be insulated from the MB, otherwise it may make a short and blow MB up.

Assoul

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
If that back plate for the cooler is metal, it needs to be insulated from the MB, otherwise it may make a short and blow MB up.

It's not metal. It's a hard plastic that bends to accommodate the heatsink screws.

I was removing the adhesive but don't recall scratching it. The conduits on the rear motherboard around the CPU are insulated, correct?

It's not metal. It's a hard plastic that bends to accommodate the heatsink screws.

I was removing the adhesive but don't recall scratching it. The conduits on the rear motherboard around the CPU are insulated, correct?
Yes they are but also very thin coating, most of danger is solder points. I have that same MB with FX 6350 on it. I doubt how you could ruin it that way. Did you try bread-boarding it ?

Reactions: Assoul

Assoul

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
Yes they are but also very thin coating, most of danger is solder points. I have that same MB with FX 6350 on it. I doubt how you could ruin it that way. Did you try bread-boarding it ?

No, does that include testing the continuity with a multimeter? I could try it. I'm assuming just the rear lanes around the pads.

Assoul

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
I can try that. Might as well if I'm going to replace the motherboard.

Here's a up-close photo of what looks to be a blemish on the read side of the motherboard, just next to the bottom-right screw of the rear CPU bracket:

Assoul

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
I tried taking out the CPU and, low and behold, two pins were bent. I tried straightening them out and the computer boots again. Thanks for the feedback. Not sure what to make of the scratch on the back of the motherboard but, if it's working, don't fix it.