Question Is my motherboard just dead?

Centurion1479

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Hey I have had a build that I made for about a month and a half now, and a few nights ago im playing Anthem at medium settings nothing special my pc isnt running too hot at all and all of a sudden it just turns off completely. I got down in it and tried to restart, only hearing a single click from the PSU. I went on some forums saw people with the same issue who said they got a new PSU and bam the issue was fixed, so I got a Seasonic 650w focus gold and had the same issue. None of the fans even begin to spin, no lights come on, no burning smell, nothing. I think my motherboard may be dead. Ive tried all the usuals like reseating ram removing gpu and hard drives and making sure all plugins are secure as well as switching outlets.
SPECS:
-Msi z390-A pro
-I5 9600k @ 4.2 ghz
-Rx 580 8gb cant remember the specific model
-16 gb corsair 3k mhz ram
-Had an evga supernova g3 650w gold, now have seasonic focus 650w gold
-Samsung whatever 500 gb ssd and an old 500 gb hdd

Last edited:

Centurion1479

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
UPDATE: got a new motherboard, just RMA'd the old one and got a new z390-A pro, still having almost the same problem. PSU emits an audible click coming from inside the PSU, although the PSU fan spins like a millimeter and stops, my heatsink fans also spin a tiny bit but then everything stops again and just turns off which is new. Any ideas? At this point it probably has to be the CPU or maybe im just really damn unlucky with my PSU's?

Centurion1479

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Well first off its not even a question of getting a display since the pc doesn't even stay on for more than a second. Second, I disconnected everything but the cpu/1 stick of ram and the same thing happened :/
Edit: just did the paperclip test on my psu and it did the same thing, small click and a very slight turn of the fans... guess ill be returning it.
Update: I tried the test on my old EVGA psu and it worked fine, however when I tried to plug it into the mobo/cpu, it just didn't turn on whatsoever. HALP!!

Last edited:
shameless bump
You may not like to hear this, hopefully I'm wrong...

When your board went it may have also taken your first power supply..and then the second power supply too. MAYBE, hopefully, the bad power supply did not take your new board.

The good thing is the power supplies are quite possibly repairable by a reasonably competent technician, as it's most likely a blown output fuse. You might try RMA'g the new one. But here's the thing: if the bad power supply did take your new board then the bad/new board may take the next new power supply. All you can do to make certain is get both new.

And here's a really ultimate bad scenario: what if it also took your CPU? And putting that bad CPU in a new board takes the board VRM which, in turn, takes the PSU? oh yeah, sounds bad, but that's the type of thing that can happen, seriously.

You need new CPU, board and PSU just to be certain. Or some serious tech skills with a decent DVM to check things safely first since simply plugging things in another known-good computer will just damage it too.

Last edited:

Centurion1479

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Could you recommend a brand that has experienced technicians while not being horribly overpriced? I know how to build a pc but I don't know how to modify stuff or root around in the internals safely or effectively at all, nor do I know anyone who can.

Could you recommend a brand that has experienced technicians while not being horribly overpriced? I know how to build a pc but I don't know how to modify stuff or root around in the internals safely or effectively at all, nor do I know anyone who can.

I'm not sure what you're asking... if you mean recommend a good tech that's not something I could do since you have to find one in your area. But if your area is like mine you'll probably find that kind of technician will charge as much as just buying it all new would cost. The tech skills need to be your own, or a mate who'll be happy with a few beers and some self-deprecating jokes to do it for you.

So...the way I'd approach this...is try to get the board AND CPU rma'd to get new ones. Then go buy another new PSU. Just eat that cost if you want to be confident everything's OK.