[SOLVED] Is my Motherboard killing my GPUs or is it the PSU?

Neohart

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
Hello!

I have an ASUS Maximums 9 hero Motherboard, an EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 gold 850 psu and HAD a GTX 970 until that died.

One day in the middle of a game, my computer shut off and would not come back on (though it sounded like the PSU would 'click' once when I tried) until I removed the GPU. I did try the other PCIe slots with the card. That card also literally caught on fire a bit.

So, I did that and the computer works perfectly fine with out it.

I RMAed the 970 with EVGA and the card worked for a day, then stopped again with the same issue.

To me, it seems like an issue with the PSU, but a 'friend' mentioned it could be the MoBo is bad or possibly making it short out or killing them in some way.

My original plan was just to replace the PSU and get a newer card like a 1070 but now I'm worried that the 1070 will die because it's the MoBo.

I'm just worrying what might actually be the culprit. My gut says PSU is problem but I would really appreciate some more insight.

Solution
You might want to contact EVGA support for a resolution.
Your problem is more likely to be the psu since a new graphics card failed also.
I doubt that the motherboard is the issue.

Neohart

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015

Sorry for taking so long to reply!

I did reach out to EVGA and started the RMA process for the PSU.

What I also ended up doing was ordering a new PSU in and a friend let me borrow his 750 ti. I was able to run two benchmarks and play Warframe, FarCry 5, Ghost Recon Wildlands and Fallout 4 and nothing bad seemed to happen.

I'm guessing since that card didn't die or anything, that it was the PSU causing issues after all?

TRENDING THREADS