Is my motherboard not working? Or is it my PSU? Please help!

Andreinator

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
My problem began when I realized that the CPU cooler that came with my motherboard was inadequate at keeping my CPU from overheating. To remedy this, I purchased a liquid cooler that did exactly what I needed it to, keep the CPU cool while I use my computer.

However, I noticed that 8.1 g of my 16.0 g of RAM was hardware reserved, so I tried the various solutions people have posted on this site over the years. None of them seemed to solve my problem, but I did notice that some of my CPU pins were bent. I took a pair of tweezers, straightened them out, and put it back into the socket on my MB. When I attempted to turn it on, however, I noticed that my graphics card's fan wasn't spinning, and there was no display on my monitor.

I tried taking my CPU out and putting it back in, but it accomplished nothing. I've felt around the inside of my computer once I powered it on, and I've noticed that the heat sink of my motherboard isn't nearly as warm as it normally is. My CPU on the other hand, still heats up quite a bit which leads me to believe that maybe not enough power is going into the motherboard.

In all honesty, I'm at my wit's end. I'm not sure what else there is to do to isolate the problem with my computer. I've tried unplugging everything, listening for the speaker attached to the motherboard to beep (it doesn't), and I'm struggling to get all the screws out of the motherboard without stripping them. If there's anything you guys can think of that'll help me at least isolate the problem, then that would be appreciated.

Here's what I'm currently working with:

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5 GHz (4.1 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W FD6300WMHKBOX Desktop Processor
PSU: EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W

Andreinator

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016

Alright, I've reseated my GPU, but how do I ensure that the supplemental power is connected correctly? I have everything hooked up to the motherboard from the PSU like the manuals tell me to do, and I don't recall any part of my PSU being attached to my GPU.

Your GPU might not have supplamental power. What model do you have?

If it requires extra power there would be fairly large plugs on the side and back of the card visible, they are either 6 or 8 pins.

Andreinator

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016

I'm having trouble finding the box that the GPU came in, but I know it's a sapphire R7 200 series, and it upon further inspection, it appears that it does not require supplemental power.