[SOLVED] Is my motherboard or psu fried?

Mar 16, 2022
I just built my new pc after months of gathering parts and fixing problems. It worked fine, but but my time was always off and turning it fully off always required me to turn it off using the psu switch. While playing FO4, i tried exiting the game and saving, but it got stuck, and i wasn't allowed to alt tab out of the screen, so i logged out. When i logged out, it got stuck on the "logging out" screen, so i did the reasonable thing and turned it off through the psu switch. After that i turned it on and my computer went to BIOS. I tried exiting (making sure everything was normal) and then it went straight to a black screen, no windows firing up, but all my lights and fans were still on. I tried turning it off with the power button, but it didn't work. So i flipped off the psu switch again and now the mobo light wont turn on at all. Idk if i fried my mobo or my psu.

EDIT: Im aware i shouldn't have done this, but this was my first time using a desktop pc (My only experience with pc gaming before was with my laptop) This is also my first time experiencing building a PC, and had a computer repair shop put together my wiring, along with me having to buy a new power supply because my old one was faulty (Sold to me through Newegg).

Last edited:
Solution
i tried to cheap out on a power supply because i don't have a ton of money.

That's what i thought. Many people cheap out on PSU since they do not realize the importance of PSU.

However,
If you have money to buy RTX 3070, then you can not say that you don't have the extra $50 to buy a good quality PSU.

For example, back in 2016, when i built my Skylake build, i had a choice:
GTX 1060 6GB GPU and Seasonic M12II-620 EVO (80+ Bronze)
or
GTX 1060 3GB GPU and Seasonic PRIME 650 (80+ Titanium)

Since i know the importance of PSU, i was willing to buy cheaper GPU, that costed €80 less, just so that i can get very good PSU for my PC.
Now, M12II-620 EVO is a good PSU, but PRIME 650 80+ Titanium was the best 650W PSU money could buy at...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
so i did the reasonable thing and turned it off through the psu switch

It is "reasonable" if you want to corrupt your system, which you most likely did, evidenced by the straight to BIOS on your next power up (indicating that Win is corrupt and can't boot).

So i flipped off the psu switch again and now the mobo light wont turn on at all.

I see a lot of PSU switch flipping here. You do know, that when you hold down the power button for 5+ seconds straight, PC will turn off, right?

Idk if i fried my mobo or my psu.

Full system specs, with PSU make and model (or part number) is?

Mar 16, 2022
I see a lot of PSU switch flipping here. You do know, that when you hold down the power button for 5+ seconds straight, PC will turn off, right?
I tried doing this, but my power button wouldnt work when i was stuck in the "signing off mode" or when i was in the black screen after BIOS. When it was signing off, i let it sit for 10+ minutes but it was seemingly stuck on that screen and the only way out that i knew was to switch off my psu

Full system specs, with PSU make and model (or part number) is?
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600g
Mobo: ROG strix B550-f
GPU: evga ftw 3 RTX 3070
RAM: 32 GB Corsair RBG pro
PSU: Corsair CX750M semi-modular

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
PSU: Corsair CX750M semi-modular

Mediocre quality PSU, at best, only good to power office PC, without dedicated GPU. But nowhere on the level of powering high-end gaming system with expensive GPU.

Here, i'd be replacing PSU with far better quality unit, e.g Seasonic Focus+ or PRIME series, in 750W range. (All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.) Or when you still trust Corsair, then: RMx, RMi, HX, HXi or AX series.

And cross your fingers and pray that none of the other hardware you have, didn't go out with PSU as well. Since PSUs, especially lower end units (like yours), have the magical ability to fry everything they are connected to. Due to that, PSU is the most important component inside the PC, since it powers everything.

Once you have new PSU, try to power on your PC. Though, it is highly likely that MoBo is also dead, since that's usually the 1st one to go, when PSU acts up.

Mar 16, 2022
Mediocre quality PSU, at best, only good to power office PC, without dedicated GPU. But nowhere on the level of powering high-end gaming system with expensive GPU.

Here, i'd be replacing PSU with far better quality unit, e.g Seasonic Focus+ or PRIME series, in 750W range. (All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.) Or when you still trust Corsair, then: RMx, RMi, HX, HXi or AX series.

And cross your fingers and pray that none of the other hardware you have, didn't go out with PSU as well. Since PSUs, especially lower end units (like yours), have the magical ability to fry everything they are connected to. Due to that, PSU is the most important component inside the PC, since it powers everything.

Once you have new PSU, try to power on your PC. Though, it is highly likely that MoBo is also dead, since that's usually the 1st one to go, when PSU acts up.
Thank you for all the help, I'm new to this whole PC building thing and i tried to cheap out on a power supply because i don't have a ton of money. Im a little frustrated because this would be the third power supply i'd be buying but im glad i have an answer to my problem

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
i tried to cheap out on a power supply because i don't have a ton of money.

That's what i thought. Many people cheap out on PSU since they do not realize the importance of PSU.

However,
If you have money to buy RTX 3070, then you can not say that you don't have the extra $50 to buy a good quality PSU.

For example, back in 2016, when i built my Skylake build, i had a choice:
GTX 1060 6GB GPU and Seasonic M12II-620 EVO (80+ Bronze)
or
GTX 1060 3GB GPU and Seasonic PRIME 650 (80+ Titanium)

Since i know the importance of PSU, i was willing to buy cheaper GPU, that costed €80 less, just so that i can get very good PSU for my PC.
Now, M12II-620 EVO is a good PSU, but PRIME 650 80+ Titanium was the best 650W PSU money could buy at that time and date. It still is one of the best PSUs ever made and it has 12 years of warranty.

That being said, if anyone who has bought expensive GPU (RTX 3070 MSRP is $499, while it very well could've costed $1000 or $1500), i don't want to hear that you don't have enough money.

this would be the third power supply i'd be buying

And here's the life lesson, cheaping out on PSU, to save, what? 50 bucks? Is not worthwhile if.... No, not if. But when low quality PSU fries 200 bucks MoBo or 500 bucks GPU. Not to mention having to buy another PSU as well.

You can cheap out on every other component in the PC, except PSU. And that's how it is.

Solution