Is my Motherboard P8H77-M PRO compatible with the Asus Strix Geforce GTX 970?

_itschaboy

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
Hey everybody! I was searching about trying to find a new GPU to upgrade to when I stumbled across that one. However I wanna be sure it's compatible first, as in order for me to get one I would have to order it, as I don't live in the US. I'm not worried about stressing this card to its' max or overclocking or anything like that but I'm definitely ready for some 1920x1080p gaming on Ultra, as I'm currently bottlenecking with my GTX 650.

UPDATE: Ok guys so I have the listed parts now finally!! But I have one more question. I currently have an HDMI 1.4 cord (hdmi 2.0 on the way). Will I be able to use this cord in my new GPU's 2.0 slot? Also note I'm using my Samsung 32" TV as my display monitor for right now.

Here are my specs:

Power Supply: TR-500 TR2 - 500W 80Plus
Motherboard: P8H77-M PRO
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 1GB
RAM: 32GB
CPU:Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz

Any fast or swift replies would be appreciated thanks.
Also forgot to mention that my desktop is an Asus CM6870 but thanks everyone for those fast replies! They were quicker than I thought! Any other tips on installation? Like how to I remove the PCI-E Cables from my existing graphics card? I tried but no dice. Apologies if that's a N00B question.

the h77 chipset is fine wiht your gpu you may need a bios update before you install it. the only down side is the power supply in your rig it one that is a known unit that not to good. also check the 12v rail amps and wattage make sure there some room left with the cpu wattage and the gpu wattage. (min 650 with a high end gpu).

_itschaboy

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

So my 500w is enough to stay at an average usage level or you believe I should swap that out as well? I'm not really looking to go all out 4-way SLI or anything like that. Just some solid maxed out settings on 1920x1080p or even some DSR. I don't own an UHD monitor as of yet either

_itschaboy

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

Thanks bro that's nice to know. Thanks for helping by the way too but would I be taking a risk by keeping my 500w? It's fairly new as well to note. I should also note that I stay in Bermuda, and slight things like these are very costly, with PC gamers being a serious minority number here as well, lol let alone black PC gamers.

Hello... your PS states that you have enuff power for the GTX 970... Operating Temperature of your PS in Bermuda will derate your PS performance over time. And also the Quality of the parts used in your PS seem to be of lower Quality... But Yes your GTX 970 will work with your PS.

_itschaboy

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

Ok so I just want to know if it would be a big risk to keep the one of have, like maybe failure in a very short time of use or somthing of that nature. So your suggesting my climate would decrease my PSU's lifespan at a higher rate? I don't want to have to change out my fairly new but seemingly low quality PSU if not needed.

Hello... Temperature is directly related to Electronic failure and lifetime of the Parts... lower tier PS's will use lower temperature rated parts in them to reduce cost.
A GPU is like a Car engine... if you push the pedal down ( 3D APP & resolution ), Your Engine is going to ask for more GAS... likewise, Your GPU will ask your PS for more AMPs. Thus your type of use could be different than others with the same PS and or GPU.
Do you have the Computer in a year round climate controlled room?

leigh76

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I can only advise what I would do and what I suggest being safe or wise.
I would change that PSU as soon as possible, and probably not use the PC much until it is replaced.
And I would suggest looking at PSU's with 650w and rating of BRONZE minimum, GOLD and above recommended, and If you use that guide allthough slightly dated, nothing over tier 3.
Hope that helps.

_itschaboy

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

Ok thank you very much for that comparison. That really makes a lot of sense. I wasn't aware that temperature is directly related to electronic failure and lifetime of the parts. Last thing I would ask is help on installation with this specific card with my specific PSU. Just need help and a little info on connecting the PCI-E cables into the PSU when it comes time for the install. Does my PSU have enough cables for this specific card?

_itschaboy

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

Thanks again for the advice and help bro, much appreciated.

leigh76

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Ps regarding the PCIE cables.
Yes they can get stiff but you just have to push the notched part and GENTLY wiggle until it comes free.
gfdgdf.jpg

And check this thread regarding Slot locks http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288734-33-remove-graphics-card-darned-locks

_itschaboy

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

So like if I may not really be stressing the same PSU someone else may own, who is, then it leads to conflict of interest. Yes my room stays at a certain temperature and it'll definitely stay at lower temperatures do to the time of year.

Hello... Yes... if you are gaming 24/7 on ultra settings then You would want a better Quality and Size PS, for cooler operating components in that Power Range. Likewise with the temperature of the Air being used to cool your PS, in your case/room.
These new 900 series GPU's are showing lower Power usage vs Performance... and current thoughts on PS sizing has changed... And it is still too early to know exactly what will work or not Work with these GPU's.