[SOLVED] Is my motherboard permenantly bricked? (MSI Z97 Gaming 5)

Apr 10, 2020
I have had this motherboard since 2016 with no lasting problems until last night. The computer turns on but either: throws different debug codes on startup, gets stuck in post, or doesn't even show code on the debug display (no lighting like it's not even getting power). It won't display anything on screen and I'm thinking that my motherboard has a bricked bios. Is there any way to reflash the bios without going to the bios screen on this motherboard?

Things I've tried:
Removing power cord and CMOS battery and clearing CMOS.
Moving RAM to a different channel.
Switching it from dual bios to single bios and back. (It's always been on dual bios)

Specs:
i5-4690k
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
MSI GTX 970
Corsair H100i
WD Black HDD 1TB
WD Blue SSD 250 GB
Crucia SSD 250 GB
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Any guidance or help is appreciated.

Solution
Switching it from dual bios to single bios and back. (It's always been on dual bios)

You switched from bios a to b, green led turned blue or from b to a, blue led turned green. Anyway i hope you flicked the switch when the mobo was turned off! If you didn't you're mobo is probably dead now.

The computer turns on but either: throws different debug codes on startup, gets stuck in post, or doesn't even show code on the debug display (no lighting like it's not even getting power). It won't display anything on screen

Check all cables, wires if they are plugged in all the way. It may be that dust colleted between some parts. When it turns on and get stuck search that debug code for you're mobo. It should indicate where the...
Apr 9, 2020

You switched from bios a to b, green led turned blue or from b to a, blue led turned green. Anyway i hope you flicked the switch when the mobo was turned off! If you didn't you're mobo is probably dead now.

The computer turns on but either: throws different debug codes on startup, gets stuck in post, or doesn't even show code on the debug display (no lighting like it's not even getting power). It won't display anything on screen

Check all cables, wires if they are plugged in all the way. It may be that dust colleted between some parts. When it turns on and get stuck search that debug code for you're mobo. It should indicate where the problem is.

Don't know if you're msi has this but mine does so try this, while the pc is off hold the power button (max 10 sec) till a blue led starts flashing on the mobo after this release power button and try to switch the PC back on.

Is there any way to reflash the bios without going to the bios screen on this motherboard?

I know msi has M FLASH but you should search how to use it. I thought you needed at least one working bios to use this feature.

Remove gpu and if you don't have a igpu it should get stuck while booting on a debug code.

Solution