Is my Motherboard shot? Please say no.

nick00

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
So about a month ago, I went to turn my computer on and it didn't start. I opened it up and started troubleshooting. First thing I did was remove one of my RAM modules (I have 2x4GB sticks). It worked, much to my surprise. PC booted fine and I thought, no big deal I'll just replace the failed RAM stick when I get the money.

Everything was going fine, up until two days ago when my other RAM module failed too. It happened while the PC was in use too; I was hit with a black screen and my PC shut down. So I remove the failed RAM stick and replace it with my brothers RAM from his build (2x2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws). It works so I decide to continue using it until my replacement RAM arrives.

Today while my PC is in use once again, both RAM modules fail simultaneously. This lead me to believe it could be a motherboard issue instead. I remove what I thought was another set of failed RAM, put it back in to my brothers PC and it works perfectly fine. In other words, the RAM still works just not in my PC.

I've tried to troubleshoot as much as I can. tried all 4 of my DIMM slots with different combinations of the RAM and none of them allow my PC to boot. LED's, Fans, GPU all start without a hitch so I have seemingly ruled out my PSU? I'm thinking my DIMM slots have failed, but I'm not entirely sure.

AMD FX-8320 with Hyper 212 EVO cooler
Radeon HD 7850
Gigabyte 970A D3 Motherboard
SSDNow V300 SSD
Seagate 1TB HDD
Crucial Ballistix tactical tracer 8GB (2x4GB)

Brothers RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 4GB (2x2GB)

note: I didn't bother to check compatibility between my brothers G.Skill RAM and my mobo. I figured it was fine cause we had the same timings, both DDR3 etc. I checked compatibility after they failed in my system though and the G.Skill website says they weren't compatible. Not sure if that matters though as the sites are rarely updated. http://

nick00

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
I tried my RAM in another system and it worked. So this isn't a RAM issue. I also cleared CMOS on the motherboard using the battery. No luck.

It's pretty much narrowed down to the CPU or motherboard DIMM slots at this point. Can't remove the CPU to look for bent pins as I don't have any thermal paste. Not sure where to go from here. Any input would be great.