[SOLVED] Is my motherboard still compatible with the newer cpu's?

Sep 17, 2020
Hello guys, i'm really new to PC builds and this is my first time changing components, just bought a new gpu and i wanted to change my cpu in the future, but i just looked up my motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H-CF and found out that it might not be compatible with the newer cpu's. Can anyone help me clarify if this is the case or should i still be ok with this one?

Solution
Hello guys, i'm really new to PC builds and this is my first time changing components, just bought a new gpu and i wanted to change my cpu in the future, but i just looked up my motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H-CF and found out that it might not be compatible with the newer cpu's. Can anyone help me clarify if this is the case or should i still be ok with this one?
Here is the list of supported CPUs -- https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97-D3H-rev-10/support#support-cpu

To get a current CPU, you have to replace the CPU/motherboard/RAM as a set. None of your existing parts are compatible with current CPUs.

kanewolf

Titan
Here is the list of supported CPUs -- https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97-D3H-rev-10/support#support-cpu

To get a current CPU, you have to replace the CPU/motherboard/RAM as a set. None of your existing parts are compatible with current CPUs.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
thanks for the help, well that's gonna be a hassle then, will have to replace quite a few things, including the windows i guess
Your windows license can be transferred. Just be sure you associate your MS login with your Windows 10 license.
You WILL want to do a clean OS install for the new hardware. If you don't have an SSD, this is the time to switch to solid state storage.

Reactions: CountMike
Sep 17, 2020
Your windows license can be transferred. Just be sure you associate your MS login with your Windows 10 license.
You WILL want to do a clean OS install for the new hardware. If you don't have an SSD, this is the time to switch to solid state storage.
i'm ok on the ssd part, i had 2 Samsung ssd's a 850 evo with 250gb and a 860 evo with 1tb of space and 1tb HDD so i should be fine on that