Question Is my motherboard still okay after i ripped out the CPU?

Jun 7, 2020
Heya!

So, back in february i bought new parts to upgrade my pc. I bought a new PSU, CPU, GPU(but wasnt satisfied so still using the old), and an SSD.

I was ready to start taking out my old parts, when i realized that the backplate had fallen off sometime, and my cooler was hanging on to my CPU by the thermal paste. This ended up in me ripping both the cooler and CPU out of the motherboard. My main concern was for some reason if i had bent any pins on the old CPU, and not my motherboard. So i just put in the new CPU without thinking much of it. (this time with a securely fastened backplate)

So i had the new parts installed, and i tried to play some games. I blue screened after about 8 minutes of fortnite, and about 8 minutes of CSGO. I thought maybe my new GPU was the problem, so i switched it out for the old one, but still got blue screens. After that i kinda just gave up on trying to fix it, The pc was working fine doing just light stuff like internet browsing and school work. (occasionally roblox and osu gameplay)

Then earlier this week i decided to see if maybe something had changed. To my surprise, i could run CSGO without blue screening. Although after some hours of gameplay, my CSGO suddenly just closed. The next day i tried running Rust. I could run it for a good 20-30 minutes without crashing. Then i got the blue screen "Critical Structure Corruption"
I read a bit about it on reddit and found out that it means there is a complete hardware failure. I've thought more and more about it and im pretty sure the motherboard is the problem, but it could very well be something else.

Please ask for more info if needed, thanks in advance for any answers!

Heya!

So, back in february i bought new parts to upgrade my pc. I bought a new PSU, CPU, GPU(but wasnt satisfied so still using the old), and an SSD.

I was ready to start taking out my old parts, when i realized that the backplate had fallen off sometime, and my cooler was hanging on to my CPU by the thermal paste. This ended up in me ripping both the cooler and CPU out of the motherboard. My main concern was for some reason if i had bent any pins on the old CPU, and not my motherboard. So i just put in the new CPU without thinking much of it. (this time with a securely fastened backplate)

So i had the new parts installed, and i tried to play some games. I blue screened after about 8 minutes of fortnite, and about 8 minutes of CSGO. I thought maybe my new GPU was the problem, so i switched it out for the old one, but still got blue screens. After that i kinda just gave up on trying to fix it, The pc was working fine doing just light stuff like internet browsing and school work. (occasionally roblox and osu gameplay)

Then earlier this week i decided to see if maybe something had changed. To my surprise, i could run CSGO without blue screening. Although after some hours of gameplay, my CSGO suddenly just closed. The next day i tried running Rust. I could run it for a good 20-30 minutes without crashing. Then i got the blue screen "Critical Structure Corruption"
I read a bit about it on reddit and found out that it means there is a complete hardware failure. I've thought more and more about it and im pretty sure the motherboard is the problem, but it could very well be something else.

Please ask for more info if needed, thanks in advance for any answers!
Unlikely but possible CPU socket got damaged, Check f you can updated BIOS.

Warmuro

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
I had a terrible CPU-Removal history years ago. Phenom II X6 1055t and stock cooler was installed so i wanted to change the cooler. I tried but that cement thermal paste was holding it tight, i had no idea how to remove the CPU from the socket. I pulled it and CPU came with the cooler... It had a few bended pins on CPU but after a few and careful tweaks, i managed to make it work like a charm, with zero issues.
In your situation, i don't think your CPU is damaged.
I think that BSOD is only happening on heavy loads, i suggest you to make a stress test with prime95 software, and if everything looks okay, try to run web browser with new tabs too while you're in stress test.
Most probably you'll get BSOD again, i suggest loading default settings in BIOS first.
It's a low possibilty but maybe even your RAMs and Motherboard having a conflict, who knows ?
I have the same CPU btw, Ryzen 5 2600 but my motherboard is MSI B450 Tomahawk with the latest BIOS. If you could post your Motherboard brand and model, it would be better.

Jun 7, 2020
I had a terrible CPU-Removal history years ago. Phenom II X6 1055t and stock cooler was installed so i wanted to change the cooler. I tried but that cement thermal paste was holding it tight, i had no idea how to remove the CPU from the socket. I pulled it and CPU came with the cooler... It had a few bended pins on CPU but after a few and careful tweaks, i managed to make it work like a charm, with zero issues.
In your situation, i don't think your CPU is damaged.
I think that BSOD is only happening on heavy loads, i suggest you to make a stress test with prime95 software, and if everything looks okay, try to run web browser with new tabs too while you're in stress test.
Most probably you'll get BSOD again, i suggest loading default settings in BIOS first.
It's a low possibilty but maybe even your RAMs and Motherboard having a conflict, who knows ?
I have the same CPU btw, Ryzen 5 2600 but my motherboard is MSI B450 Tomahawk with the latest BIOS. If you could post your Motherboard brand and model, it would be better.
Mobo. The BIOS im running right now is F31 but i can try to update to the latest one later today. My ram is a single 16gb 2400mhz stick.

Just did the stress test for some minutes with 5 new tabs in chrome. No problems, and the temps hit 59 celsius at max.

Just to clarify, it was a R3 1300x that i ripped out in order to put the 2600 i have now.

Edit: Just updated my BIOS to F50. I can run a new stress test just to run it i guess.

Last edited:

Warmuro

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
Your MOBO is B350 chipset so maybe it had compatibility issues with BIOS version F31 + Ryzen 5 2600. (Think about it, even i had strange abnormal temperature issues with previous BIOS versions, last BIOS fixed that. Mine is MSI B450 Tomahawk + Ryzen 5 2600)
Also try to install chipset drivers only from GIGABYTE. AMD Official Website chipset drivers sometimes causes trouble, i can't even manage to install latest driver and previous driver i downloaded from AMD website, gives an error like "we need amd system to install" bla bla. If you installed anything from AMD, uninstall them and just download from GIGABYTE and install.
Try to test it with games etc. If you get BSOD again, we'll think about other possibilities.

Jun 7, 2020
Your MOBO is B350 chipset so maybe it had compatibility issues with BIOS version F31 + Ryzen 5 2600. (Think about it, even i had strange abnormal temperature issues with previous BIOS versions, last BIOS fixed that. Mine is MSI B450 Tomahawk + Ryzen 5 2600)
Also try to install chipset drivers only from GIGABYTE. AMD Official Website chipset drivers sometimes causes trouble, i can't even manage to install latest driver and previous driver i downloaded from AMD website, gives an error like "we need amd system to install" bla bla. If you installed anything from AMD, uninstall them and just download from GIGABYTE and install.
Try to test it with games etc. If you get BSOD again, we'll think about other possibilities.
I updated the BIOS to F50, and played CSGO for some hours. This time i didn't crash, but CSGO did, my audio looped a bit, and then i just came to my background.

Also, i remember having my GPU fans set to 50% before starting CSGO, but they were reset to auto fan when i crashed.

I'm also a little worried about my CPU, in the BIOS the clock speed read 3,4ghz, standard. But when i open Ryzen Master it shows 3,9ghz peak speed. Doesn't help if i try to change it down in ryzen master, always just goes back up after a restart.

Just uninstalled AMD Chipset Software and downloaded from gigabyte website. Will edit this once i've tried it out. Noticed it said Radeon Adrenalin in the installation program, isn't that the program used for the GPUs from AMD?

Edit: Have tried it for a few days now and everything worked pretty well. CSGO ran pretty fine, no crashes, as well as the prime 95 test with 5 chrome tabs. I left my PC to idle a bit while i was out doing something, and when i came back my mouse and keyboard were turned off. When i pressed my keyboard it lit up, but not the mouse. The screen had also frozen up, so i think it crashed while in idle or something.

Edit 2: I ran a Prime 95 just now, and lasted 3 minutes before i blue screened. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
I have gotten this one some times before.

Last edited:

Warmuro

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

It might be related to the ram.
Could you use MemTest software and check ? If there's nothing wrong about RAM(s), try to adjust your PageFile in Windows, Virtual Memory. Assuming you didn't do any tweakings about PageFile, i suggest testing the RAM(s) with MemTest.

Jun 7, 2020
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

It might be related to the ram.
Could you use MemTest software and check ? If there's nothing wrong about RAM(s), try to adjust your PageFile in Windows, Virtual Memory. Assuming you didn't do any tweakings about PageFile, i suggest testing the RAM(s) with MemTest.
I ran MemTest86, and let me tell ya.
The test had to abort due to too many errors. 5min in, and i had around 44000 errors. Is it safe to say that i need new ram?
Though, im puzzled by the fact that it worked just fine before i got my new parts earlier this year.

Warmuro

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
My god, do you have 1 ram or 2 rams ? if you have 2, try just one of them for testing, if you have just 1 ram, then... You need to borrow a ram to test but most probably your ram is the issue because there shouldn't be any problems.
Back then, i had 2 sticks of Kingston rams 2x4gb, and i started to get bluescreens etc. I ran MemTest and found errors, tried one by one, one of them was error free, other one was with errors. Then i was shocked, one of my rams was faulty.
In your case, problem looks like the Ram.
Before borrowing a Ram, could you try another Ram slot ? (if you only have 1 stick of ram, try changing the ram slot, maybe slot is faulty)
Please inform us because i think we're getting closer to the solution.

Warmuro

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
Also, if you want to be %100 sure, you can even test your Ram with another computer and run the test,
You can take your RAM to a computer shop or something to run MemTest.
If it's faulty, i think most of the RAMs have unlimited time gurantee so you can try to send it to the service to make it repaired or replaced by a new one maybe.

Jun 7, 2020
My god, do you have 1 ram or 2 rams ? if you have 2, try just one of them for testing, if you have just 1 ram, then... You need to borrow a ram to test but most probably your ram is the issue because there shouldn't be any problems.
Back then, i had 2 sticks of Kingston rams 2x4gb, and i started to get bluescreens etc. I ran MemTest and found errors, tried one by one, one of them was error free, other one was with errors. Then i was shocked, one of my rams was faulty.
Before borrowing a Ram, could you try another Ram slot ? (if you only have 1 stick of ram, try changing the ram slot, maybe slot is faulty)
Right now i have a single 16gb stick. I used to have 2 4gb sticks, but I constantly got the "memory_management" blue screen, so i bought the 16gb stick back in late 2019.

Im pretty certain i dont have any spare ram to test with either. I'll try to change the ram slots and run MemTest again tomorrow.

Jun 7, 2020
Okay, i switched from the second closest ram slot to the furthest away from the CPU.

Memtest ran pretty fine. I couldn't really use my pc so i went out and helped my grandma water the plants. I came back and it had ran for almost 3 hours, and i had 6500 errors. I was at pass 3/4 so i thought id just skip some of the test like sleep test. Then i got to the hammering test and the test actually just crashed i think. I couldnt press ESC and the timer was frozen too.

Edit: I woke up today and started up my pc as usual. Went completely fine, ate breakfast and watched youtube vids. Then i decided to play some osu! Went well for about 20 minutes until my pc crashed without any blue screen. Just audio loop and my screen frozen.

Edit 2: Just after my pc rebooted from the crash above, i started osu! again and it crashed, but this time with a blue screen. "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" Pc did its thing, restarted. I tried getting into the bios to double check my boot order, then i went out of the bios. Then my pc blue screened again while booting up. "kernel_security_check_failure" Pc did its thing again, but this time it started the automatic windows repair. I chose not to recover and just restart my pc, and luckily got in.

Edit 3: Was chilling in a discord voice chat with the boys, playing osu! again because its the only really light game i have that i enjoy. Then my pc decides to bluescreen again. "system_thread_exception_not_handled nvlddmkm.sys"

Last edited: