[SOLVED] Is My Motherboard Toast?

Aug 8, 2019
So I got this computer free off of Craigslist, I want to use it as a Plex media server. It is an HP Pavilion p6516f. It won't start up enough to go into the BIOS.

It has an Athlon II X4 630, microATX motherboard. It was missing a hard drive and RAM. I start it up, lights turn on, and I get an error code, 1 long beep and then another longer beep, signaling it is missing RAM.

So I order 4GB DDR3 10600 for $15. Plug it in, no beeps, no BIOS. Nothing on the screen. I do notice the fans start up strongly for a few seconds, then slow down and stay slow. I try the single RAM module in every socket. Same result.

I have other components that I know work. I try a different PSU, same. 2 sticks of 2GB DDR3 1600 in every socket. Same result. I put my Phenom II X3 720 BE in the mobo, the same, it beeps twice with no RAM, nothing but fans with RAM. I put the X4 630 in my other rig and it works fine, I'm using it right now.

I also tried removing the battery, pushing the power button 20 times.

So is the board toast? All the lights turn on, fans run. Has anyone seen the fans rev up then turn most of the way down symptom before? I followed the guide about POST/boot problems. Is there anything else I can try?

If it is the board would anyone like to recommend a cheap microATX AM3 board? Thanks!

Solution
I kinds doubt the motherboard is to blame, since you do get beeps from it. It might be a failed bios flashing. Try to boot with nothing in but the cpu and cpu cooler (not even front panel cables). If not, try these methods: 1 or 2.

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
I kinds doubt the motherboard is to blame, since you do get beeps from it. It might be a failed bios flashing. Try to boot with nothing in but the cpu and cpu cooler (not even front panel cables). If not, try these methods: 1 or 2.

Solution
Aug 8, 2019
It turns out when connected to the DVI output the monitor was blank, connecting it to the VGA works fine. I had basically given up, but since you suggested that the motherboard was likely not the problem I tried again. Thanks so much for replying. I would not have solved the problem if not for your encouragement

Edit: When connected to the DVI output and pressing the keys to recover the BIOS I heard clicking, which subsided when I let go of the keys. It told me something was working, and I deduced it could have something to do with the video.

Reactions: sdedu77