• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question is my motherboard toast?

jeffboy123

Prominent
Apr 5, 2018
so i accidentally plugged a floppy disk power connecter into my fan header because it’s connected to my case fans and it started smoking. the chip next to the fan header blew. is my motherboard dead do i need to get a new one? do you think the other components are dead too?

so i accidentally plugged a floppy disk power connecter into my fan header because it’s connected to my case fans and it started smoking. the chip next to the fan header blew. is my motherboard dead do i need to get a new one? do you think the other components are dead too?
pictures?

It is probably just the fan driver that you toasted, if so it's probably just that fan header and any others that share that driver. If it were me I'd try to very carefully cut away that smoked driver chip and then see if it powers up and runs. The reason I remove the burnt chip is from an abundance of caution as it's possible it's damage could end up shorting 12V to ground and that would damage other stuff.

Zoel.fahmi

Proper
Dec 27, 2019
Pretty much yes

ASK THE COMMUNITY