[SOLVED] Is my motherboard toast?

balake

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
I have had an 850W Gold Thermaltake PSU sitting around, as I was waiting for the new GPUs to come in stock, but I decided to go ahead and put it in. I tried just switching the PSUs out and not messing with the cables, but nothing turned on. I switched out all the cables to the new PSU and everything booted up. I had all my storages, my CPU and GPU temps were normal, and all my features were working. I left for about 45 minutes (left my PC running) and when I came back, my PC and all of its RGB was still on but no display. I tried holding the power button to turn it off but it does not work. I now have a red led for the VGA and BOOT and for some reason my power button doesn't glow and it only turns the PC on but not off, with no display. I've tried switching to the old power supply, unplugging and replugging everything, lowering GPU into lower slot...Starting to think the motherboard is toasted

R7 3700X
ASUS 5500XT
MSI 570X GAMING EDGE WIFI
HDD 7200 512GB
HDD 7200 1TB
SSD 216 GB
NVME 512GB
240MM LIQUID AIO CORSAIR
650 GOLD EVGA PSU (old)
850 GOLD THERMALTAKE PSU (new)

balake

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
it's likely that some damage was done if you mixed PSU cables that were not intended to be used together.
i figured as much... sadly this is a lesson ive had to learn the hard (and expensive) way. ive been troubleshooting all day to no avail. I think the GPU PCI-E was damaged or the GPU itself, as I cant get ANY graphic, not even a bios, out of the machine.