Is My Motherboard Too Small?

C-Rex

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
Hello, I'm C-Rex and I'm new to the forums. Recently I've decided to custom build my first PC for college, and the case I'm using is a Cooler Master HAF XM USB 3.0 E ATX Case. However, I've hit a snag; my motherboard, the Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard appears to be too small as the PCI and PCI Express slots don't line up to the case. It lines up with the brass standoffs, however.

This is really causing me a lot of grief, as I've been waiting a long time for most of my components to arrive. I've considered returning the motherboard to Amazon and getting a different one, but I'm also worried the new one will have the same problem, and I want it to be able to support the Intel i5-3570K like the Asus P8Z77-V LX. Does anyone have any advice as to what the best motherboard is? Many thanks. :)

Solution
Sorry, wrong terminolgy. The motherboard expansion slots are offset to one side, or the other depending on the slot type, to allow the rear ports of the expansion card to line up with the rear slots on the case. If the expansion slots on the motherboard were in direct line with the rear slots on the case, once the rear ports were mounted on the expansion card they would be blocked by the supports on the rear of the case.

pauls3743

Distinguished
No, your motherboard is neither too small nor is it too big. The reason your pci and PCI-e slots don't line-up with the rear slots on the case are so that there is enough space to mount the rear panel connectors onto the expansion card, these are what do line-up with your rear slots.

C-Rex

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013

Really? I read somewhere else that if they don't line up it can cause problems. Also, on my I/O plate there are a lot of little metal tabs, and these get in the way whilst I'm trying to get my motherboard to line up with it. Is it okay to remove them?

pauls3743

Distinguished
Sorry, wrong terminolgy. The motherboard expansion slots are offset to one side, or the other depending on the slot type, to allow the rear ports of the expansion card to line up with the rear slots on the case. If the expansion slots on the motherboard were in direct line with the rear slots on the case, once the rear ports were mounted on the expansion card they would be blocked by the supports on the rear of the case.

Solution