Dec 7, 2019
I purchased a Dell Optiplex 790 MT along with a GTX 770 4gb and a 500 Watt PSU with hopes I could build a decent gaming PC. The power supply didn't have dual 8 pin connectors so I bought a 15 pin SATA to 8 Pin convertor from Amazon. I also used two power supplies, one for the mobo and HDD and one for the graphics card. I installed the GPU and booted up the computer, The fans were on max speed and there was no display. I plugged the VGA to my on board graphics and I saw the screen. I went to device manager and there is only a Intel(R) HD Graphics driver, no nvidea. I tried installing the drivers but upon downloading the program it said it couldnt detect any graphics cards. Is the card dead or is there something I can do?
My specs:
I5-2400 3.1 ghz
8 GB Ram
500 GB HDD
Intel on board graphics
Msi GTX 770 4gb

Solution
Unfortunately, there were a number of poorly-researched ideas here. The specs for a GTX 770 are up to 230W and the Coolmax you ordered is hot garbage. Now you have this weirdly cobbled together machine with two power supplies, neither of which are up to the task you've assigned them. And you've even thrown an adapter, a giant no-no, into the mix.

First thing to do is to remove the GPU and put the PC back to the way you got it and see if it still works. Then, return the Coolmax if you still have a return window or call your sanitation department and have it recycled if you're not. Then, assuming your PC still works, take the GTX 770 to a local shop or to a friend who has a PC that can test to see if the 770 still works. If it does...

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your 500W PSU? Thumb rule, if your PSU doesn't have the necessary connectors for your components in your system, then that PSU should not be used in your system.

Also, two PSU's? Make and model of the two PSU's? You will also need at least 650W of power(from a reliably built unit) for the entire system with a GTX770 populating the system's PCIe slot, not a 500W unit.

Dec 7, 2019
I bought a 500 Watt PSU from eBay->http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDetailsPower.asp?item=I-500&details=overview&subcategory=120mm&cate...

This PSU supplied the motherboard and the HDD. A 4 Pin, 24 Pin, and a SATA connector.

I then used the PSU that came with the OptiPlex to power the GPU by itself. The PSU was 265 Watts and had 4 SATA connectors ->https://www.ebay.com/i/192372678634?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid...

I thought I was smart and I bought 2 x SATA to 8 Pin and I thought it would be work on the GPU cause I was on a budget.

DSzymborski

Titan
Unfortunately, there were a number of poorly-researched ideas here. The specs for a GTX 770 are up to 230W and the Coolmax you ordered is hot garbage. Now you have this weirdly cobbled together machine with two power supplies, neither of which are up to the task you've assigned them. And you've even thrown an adapter, a giant no-no, into the mix.

First thing to do is to remove the GPU and put the PC back to the way you got it and see if it still works. Then, return the Coolmax if you still have a return window or call your sanitation department and have it recycled if you're not. Then, assuming your PC still works, take the GTX 770 to a local shop or to a friend who has a PC that can test to see if the 770 still works. If it does still work, either sell it and instead buy a used GT 1030 or GTX 1050, both PSUs that you could have slapped in just fine initially or save up for a proper PSU that can power a PC with a GTX 770.

Your plans from here depend on what you can salvage at this point.

Reactions: Movalex
Solution
Dec 7, 2019

First thing to do is to remove the GPU and put the PC back to the way you got it and see if it still works. Then, return the Coolmax if you still have a return window or call your sanitation department and have it recycled if you're not. Then, assuming your PC still works, take the GTX 770 to a local shop or to a friend who has a PC that can test to see if the 770 still works. If it does still work, either sell it and instead buy a used GT 1030 or GTX 1050, both PSUs that you could have slapped in just fine initially or save up for a proper PSU that can power a PC with a GTX 770.

Your plans from here depend on what you can salvage at this point.
I like you, dude