Is my new CPU overheating?

laklive

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
Hello community,

I recently purchased an AMD A8-5600K Trinity 3.6GHz CPU. I read that this CPU usually runs hot but decided to install it using the stock cooler. I was not going to be overclocking or doing anything too extreme. I ran HWMonitor and the CPU was about 50-60C during idle which seemed to be a bit high. I ran Prime95 and the temp shot up over 90C. I immediately stopped the test and decided to buy an after market cooler.

I took a gamble and purchased a new release by Enermax. I installed it using the included thermal paste and only saw a few degrees improvement. I re-installed it again this time using Arctic Silver paste. I ran Prime95 and temp was still pretty high (in the mid 80's). I returned the Enermax cooler and purchased the high rated Cooler Master Evo 212 hoping to see lower temps. I installed it and the temperature is lower but still seems a bit high in my opinion. I attached two pictures. The first image is during idle. The second is during Prime95.

Just wondering if these are OK temps or if I have a bad CPU. I have another machine running an Athlon II X4 at 15C but I assume it's because it's not an APU (correct me if I'm wrong please).

Thanks in advance.

sr7z.jpg

qmll.jpg

Don't rely on HWMonitor only. Post your mobo's recorded temps as they will be more accurate. Earlier temps are very high for sure. 79 at load is not a problem at all as well.

Remember, if your CPU really hits 90ish + then it should have been shut down. If it did not shut down or reacted abruptly then for sure the temps were not reaching 90ish +.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=483&threadid=170751

laklive

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
So I decided to once again reinstall the heat sink just to make sure I covered everything. I did notice the brackets were much easier to screw in this time so I'm not sure if I did something wrong the first time. I checked into the bios and the cpu temp was at 39C. I'm a lot more comfortable at this temp.

This was my first time using the cooler master evo 210. The heat sink is properly mounted over the cpu but I'm able to slide the heat sink around. Is this normal?

Once fitted properly, heat sink won't slide. Tight the screws gently pl.