Is my new (ha ha) FX 8350 bricked?

emil1369

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Hello all,

I just bought an FX 8350 off EBAY to replace my 8150, because I like the idea of keeping an old system alive, instead of replacing it.
So the new chip doesn't post, at all. No beeps, no nothing. Normally I would just assume it's bricked, but it doesn't seem completely dead - the motherboard does react when I remove the cooler physically off the CPU, and boosts the fan as a reaction to the spiking temps, and eventually shuts off.
So there is some life in it, but I don't know if I'm doing something wrong and the chip is really okay, or if it's completely dead.
I should add that I have the latest BIOS released for my MB.

So, do I go complain to the gods of EBAY? Or is there something to be done?

Thanks a lot,
Emil

kanewolf

Titan
Did you verify compatibility with the motherboard manufacturer's website? Did you verify minimum BIOS requirements for the 8350? Does the motherboard work correctly if you put the 8150 back in?

If the answer to those questions is ALL YES, then you probably have a DOA case with the E-Bay seller.

emil1369

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

That really pisses me off! I put in a return request now, and the guy accepted within 2 minutes. Makes me think he knew it was dead, and was just trying his luck unloading it on someone who wasn't going to say anything.

Argh, it's an ordeal now.

He possibly no longer had a motherboard to test it and that's the solution he used to have it tested.