Is my new HD going to blow up?

G

So I have just installed win98 and win2k on my new IBM Deskstar 60 gig drive. The OS's are installed on two separate partitions. I also have another IBM deskstar connected to the same Promise HD controller PCI card. Everything seemed to be going well until I noticed that when I shut down or restart win2k the is a very odd noise coming from What I think is my new HD. The noise is like a bzzz the a snap or click and bzzz-click, buzzz-click... it does this 6 or 7 times then it will finish shutting down or restarting.

I decided that I better see what happened when shutting down win98. When I shut down win98 the is no bzz- click but it tends to leave me with the windows is shutting down screen and never actually gets to the shut down finishing.

www.djtaos.cjb.net

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Run don't walk to <A HREF="http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/technolo/dft/dftnew.htm" target="_new"> THIS </A> website download the IBM data fitness software and run it .. if the drive is bad it will tell you so and even generate an RMA number copy the codes down if this is the case too .. good luck

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Also, make sure your power supply has enough wattage to supply your system. If you had to use some splitter power connectors to supply power to all your drives and fans then consider getting a better P/S. 400w should be good enough.

Also take the advise of the first post to you problem. Hope everything works out.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

G

EEEK.......... ok thanx I did just what you said. Mine seems to be of the Philippino variety. I downloaded fitness test and ran the advanced test....it claims that everything is fine. Mine is a 60gxp rather then the 75gxp.

www.djtaos.cjb.net

G

ah, power supply... I didn't even think about that... Well It's an old Intel Pentium Pro200 system. It only has a 200watt power supply and it's probably at least 5 years old. But I doubt I'll replace it as I have a full tower that I'll be using soon that has a 300watt system. I'm just waiting on some RAM that I ordered a month and a half ago from a not so good company.

www.djtaos.cjb.net

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
First of all, I hope you found the problem. You mentioned getting a full tower soon with a 300 watt P/S. Well, with today's power hungry new technology, i.e., if you intend to upgrade to a P4 or Athlon, a 300 watt P/S and with 2 HDD's and other hardware won't be enough. The recommended is 400 watts. The more power capability available means cleaner signal strength.

Like a 4 cylinder engine...great fuel economy, but lacks the horsepower to do the work,...under a heavy workload fuel economy goes out the door, while dirty combustion builds up. The opposite is true with an eight cylinder engine...fuel burns cleaner and has the muscle to spare for increased payload.

As technology advances, the high-tech manufactures are saying, "pay me now or, pay me later".

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Speaking of P/S I just saw an excellent post in the <b>(Motherboard & Chipset)</b> forum regarding P/S, title: <b>"Strange Question, but important"</b>. The original post is under "<b><font color=blue>ahw</b></font color=blue>". Checkout the links posted by <b><font color=red>mbetea</b></font color=red>. These links should provide you with all you need to know about how much is enough power. Peace!

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

G

the new computer is a PIII-1ghz...... If I add more then two HArddrives I might start looking into a bigger powersupply. I plan on adding 6 HD enetually so definetly the extra power will be needed and used. THanx

Taos

www.djtaos.cjb.net