Is my new I3-330M processor running too warm???

AZKID44

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Hi everyone,

I have a new Toshiba laptop running WIN7, Intel i3-330M processor 4GB RAM and wanted to know what is the "normal" operating temperature for my i3-330M processor. My Moo0 System Monitor software reports about 60~65 degrees Celsius just surfing the net. This seems a little high since my old laptop with just a Celeron processor used to run about +- 50 degrees C. My cooling fan seems to be running fine.
I tried searching for answers here and on the Intel website without any luck :(

BTW I live in the dessert :sol: and the ambient temp in my home is usually 82+ F or 28 Celsius if that matters.
Thanks for any info/comments or useful links anyone can provide me.

Rich

Solution
If you look below, the thermal spec is 90C. So 60-65C is pretty good considering your ambient temperature. Mobile CPU's typically have a much higher thermal envelope due to size and weight constraints due to the formfactor they're run in. I would be comfortable running the temperatures you are seeing. If I were you I would only get concerned if you are regularly seeing above 75-80C. In all likelihood, if your temperatures do start to creep up, your fan is going to kick into gear and not let them get out of hand.

If you start to notice your normal operating temps start creeping up overtime without a corresponding increase in ambient temperature, it could be time to use a little canned air to give the heatsink a blast to remove...
I am unfamiliar with the i3 regular temperatures but I do know that notebook models are designed to, and do, run at hotter temperatures. So if someone who has experience with them would chime in, that would be helpful.

In the meantime, your notebook brand and model would be useful. Perhaps it is flawed. I have an HP TX2500. The CPU regularly hit 90C on load. The model was at fault for bad cooling but the CPU was designed to be able to withstand up to 100C. This was an AMD Athlon 64x2 QL-60. My ambients were around 20C.

mmm. Living there sounds delicious. :p

AZKID44

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Hi Enzo

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a new Toshiba - Satellite Model: A505-S6005 Laptop with the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD with 32-1696MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory. Also my WIN7 Home Premium OS is 64bit.
HTH

Rich

If you look below, the thermal spec is 90C. So 60-65C is pretty good considering your ambient temperature. Mobile CPU's typically have a much higher thermal envelope due to size and weight constraints due to the formfactor they're run in. I would be comfortable running the temperatures you are seeing. If I were you I would only get concerned if you are regularly seeing above 75-80C. In all likelihood, if your temperatures do start to creep up, your fan is going to kick into gear and not let them get out of hand.

If you start to notice your normal operating temps start creeping up overtime without a corresponding increase in ambient temperature, it could be time to use a little canned air to give the heatsink a blast to remove dust and cruft from the heatsink. Be sure if you are doing this to keep the fan impeller from spinning as hitting the fan with a blast of air and allowing it to spin at such high rates will burn out the bearings in the fan. Depending on the laptop some minor disassembly maybe required to get at the HSF assembly. You'll have to refer to the Service Manual for the necessary information. In most cases(depending on manufacturer) it requires that you remove the battery and lift/remove keyboard to get at it. Hope that helps answer your question. Also see below for a direct link for the information for your CPU.

sSpec Number: SLBMD
CPU Speed: 2.13 GHz
PCG:
Bus Speed: 2.5 GT/s
Bus/Core Ratio:
L3 Cache Size: 3 MB
L3 Cache Speed: 2.13 GHz

Package Type: Micro-FCPGA
Manufacturing Technology: 32 nm
Core Stepping: C2
CPUID String: 20652h
Thermal Design Power: 35W
Thermal Specification: 90°C
VID Voltage Range:

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei3/mobile/techdocs.htm

Solution

AZKID44

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Thanks TG for your prompt reply and the helpful info and link. It's great having very knowledgeable folks like you on Tom's website.

Rich .... always learning