a44arana

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
System Specs:

Motherboard - Asus Z87-Pro (v-edition)
PSU - Thermaltake 850W EVO_BLUE 2.0
CPU - i7 4770K (not overclocked)
CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100i
RAM - Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10B 16GB (2x8gb)
Storage - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD (windows 7 Ultimate - SP 1)
Optical - ASUS 24X DVD Burner (Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS)
Graphics Card - ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 Graphics card - 3 GB - GDDR5 SDRAM
Wireless adaptor - TP-LINK TL-WDN4800
Case - NZXT Phantom Enthusiast Full Tower with 4 fans (120mmx2 intake, 120mmx1 outtake, 200mx1 outake)

All items are less than 30 days old, this is my 1st build. All my drivers are up to date and downloaded from manufacturer website.

im getting a crash when playing video games on my pc. The crash causes an instant restart with no blue screen error given (i have automatic restarts disabled), and minimal data in event viewer about the error, and information points to a power failure as if i unplugged the machine. i thought it might be my graphics card so i checked to make sure i had all connections snug and power supply connectors in tight. Then i tried to play more games and it crashed again, same kind as before.

Today i replaced the graphics card with a new one (same card) and i got the same crash. So now im leaning more towards my PSU being the culprit. Any suggestions on how i should test my PSU or what kind of PSU i should get to power my build?

i used http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx for the minimum wattage i need for this system, are there more accurate calculators with more options?

My psu has 4x6+2 connectors in the form of 2 modular wires each with 2x6+2. is it possible that my wire is not delivering the full power i need? should i use 1 wire with 1x6+2 connector and the other wire with 1x6 connector? using both wires from my power supply but only 1 connector from each? would that make any difference?

also i havent tested my memory but its brand new as of today. I will try starting there overnight, but im leaning more towards power supply failure.

Adroid

Distinguished

So why are you spamming the forums asking the same question?

It's probably the power supply. You will find out in a few days. If not, you ruled out one more issue. No one is going to definitively answer your question. When a PC component goes bad, it's a trial and error process.

You could also check the memory with memtest. Doesn't sound like it's the GPU, so being as it happens during intense load, yes the PSU is a likely culprit.